New

John Dunkin Tr - History

John Dunkin Tr - History


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

John Dunkin

Former name retained.

(Tr: dp. 443; 1. 127'; b. 21'6" ; dr. 14'4"; s. 10 k.; cl. Strath)

John Dunkin, a British trawler, was leased by the Navy and commissioned 30 May 1919, Lt. (j.g.) J. G. Doerscburg in command. She operated out of Kirkwall, Orkney Islands, Scotland, with the mine-sweeping detail in the North Sea. Ships stationed at Kirkwall cleared the western half of the mine barrage laid down during World War I to protect British Harbors. After completing this task, John Dunkin decommissioned 12 August 1919 and was returned to her owners.


Ocean County Historical Museum

Celebrate Labor Day with your family and friends at the Ocean County Historical Society’s Antiques and Collectibles Faire on Saturday, August 31st, on the grounds surrounding the museum on 26 Hadley Ave and the Ocean County Parking Garage on Madison Ave in Toms River.

Join the fun as you shop for antiques and collectibles as well as items crafted by a local wool spinner, basket maker and decoy carver. Buy a 50/50 raffle ticket sponsored by OCHS. Bring your antiques for appraisals by Art Kravetz, Ben Pulcrano and Cole Ferry. Enjoy morning performances by musicians from the Music Academy in Toms River, followed by vocal and guitar performances by Sal Aversano in the afternoon. Visit the Artists’ Garden to purchase a favorite painting from an Ocean County artist. View vintage autos and buy a raffle ticket to hopefully win a 1965 Mustang. Buy books and have them signed by author Linda Barth. Watch a Civil Ware re-enactment. Savor breakfast and lunch foods prepared by our food vendor from 4-Bee’s Polish Deli and delicious baked goods made by OCHS volunteers. Tour the OCHS museum and its current exhibitions.


3. Situation Analysis (SWOT)

The marketing environment for Dunkin’ Donuts represents an overwhelming array of opportunities for growth. Nevertheless, there are countless challenges that the company faces and still believes it can succeed in its mission to meet the needs of more people. The table A in the Appendix illustrates the SWOT analysis to highlight the strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats of Dunkin’ Donuts.
The SWOT analysis represents a sketch of the company’s position in the marketplace. Since its existence, Dunkin’ Donuts has built some impressive strengths while aiming forward to new expansion opportunities. Its dedicated founders, the Dunkin Brands Inc. and its loyalty towards its growing number of brand-loyal customers place the company in a strong position to sustain any market crisis. The recent strong positive financial performance for the 2016 has been promising for the company, with an operating income margin of over 50% for the year. This performance was driven by the highly ritualistic, high-margin coffee and beverage menu offerings throughout the franchises. The stores sales grew by 1.6% and the Earnings per Share (EPS) grew to 17% on a 53-week basis (Annual Report 2016). The sound financial performance places Dunkin in a good position to grow. However, while Dunkin’ Donuts considers expanding its products into new markets, it has to carefully assess the market entry criteria and be on guard against marketing myopia and failure to offer quality depending on the culture and tastes of the new targeted customer segment. Competitors may attempt to copy the products or duplicate the way it offers its products online. These are weaknesses and threats which Dunkin’ should pay attention to. Nevertheless, the strong relationships with customers and franchisers place Dunkin Donuts in a very strong position to thwart competitors.


See your purchase history on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

  1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Tap your name, then tap Media & Purchases. You might be asked to sign in.
  3. Tap Purchase History.
  4. Your purchase history appears. If you want to see purchases that you made more than 90 days prior, tap Last 90 Days, then select a different date range.


John Denver’s Fateful Last Flight – An Illegal Takeoff on an Experimental Plane

For the vast majority of Americans who followed the music of John Denver — such as his anthem “Rocky Mountain High” or other big hits like “Country Roads”, and “Sunshine on My Shoulder” — he was unlike any other big musician and songwriter.

With his Anna Zapp embroidered shirts, a gigantic pair of glasses, and a smile that melted hearts, Denver jubilantly entertained his audiences and shared with them his love for nature and wildlife.

Photo of John Denver from 1974.

John Denver is also remembered for leaving this world when his Long-EZ kit plane crashed into Monterey Bay, near Pacific Grove, California, on October 12, 1997 at 5:28 pm local time. The music legend was aged 53 and was flying with a revoked flying license.

“Low fuel, a hard-to-reach handle to switch gas tanks and modifications to his homemade airplane may have figured in the crash that killed singer John Denver last year,” opened a report of his death published by the L.A. Times, a few months after the disaster when more precise details were made known following investigations.

Denver’s live concert television special An Evening With John Denver (1975).

His was born Henry John Deutschendorf, Jr. on December 31, 1943, in Roswell, New Mexico, but found his true home in Colorado. The musician began playing with various bands on the folk music circuit during his college years, and adopted the stage name John Denver after the capital city of his favorite state.

Denver’s love for music began at 11-years-old, after his grandma bought him a guitar. And his passion for flying came from his father, Lt. Col. Henry John “Dutch” Deutschendorf, a U.S. Air Force test pilot.

Doris Day and John Denver in a 1975 TV special Doris Day Today (CBS, Feb. 19, 1975).

In 1969, Peter, Paul and Mary’s version of “Leaving on a Jet Plane,” written by Denver in 1966, made number one on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Denver released his first commercial studio album, Rhymes and Reasons, the same year, which he promoted through an informal tour — playing free gigs and bagging local radio airtime as the writer of “Leaving on a Jet Plane.”

His invasion of the American charts began quickly. In 1971, “Take Me Home, Country Roads” reached the number two spot, and was followed with a string of number one hits and successful albums. Three years later, his music was honored with the first significant recognition with the Academy of Country Music award for Album of the Year, for Back Home Again.

Photo by Ron Galella/WireImage

He was also famed for his TV appearances, especially in Britain where none of his most popular songs — except “Annie’s Song” — did well on the charts. “Sure he was a hippie, but he was one the whole family could enjoy,” wrote the Independent in Denver’s obituary, published two days after his death.

John Denver in a television special where he served as the program’s narrator.

On the day of the accident, the singer took off from Monterey Peninsular Airport in a plane he had recently bought.

It was an experimental homebuilt Long-EZ aircraft. The pre-flight technician report records that Denver was low on fuel at take off, and that the technician recommended the pilot refuel. He also noted that the positioning of the fuel selector handle would have made it difficult for the pilot to switch tanks.

A Long-EZ two-seater canard plane.

Denver had a history of Piloting an Aircraft Under the Influence of Alcohol, for which he faced court hearings in 1993 and 1994. Since his medical certificate had been revoked in 1996 by the Federal Aviation Administration for failing to maintain sobriety, he no longer held a valid permit to fly.

However, the autopsy showed he had not been drinking on the day of his death.

John Denver ‘Spirit’ Statue on the Windstar land in Snowmass, Colorado. Photo by SandianeCarter CC BY-SA 3.0

So, how did the tragedy unfold? This was Denver’s second flight in his Long-EZ. He had taken around 30 minutes instruction on the ground from a pilot familiar with the model, but the person who built it had made some experimental modifications to the fuel system.

A maintenance technician reported that Denver omitted to make a visual check of the fuel levels and refused the technician’s recommendation to top up.

Before taking the route towards the ocean, Denver made a series of touch-and-go landings. All was fine until the plane reached the skies above the ocean when it suddenly banked to the right, then plunged into the water. The accident was witnessed by several people as it was happened close to the shore.

The plaque marking the location of Denver’s plane crash in Pacific Grove, California Photo by Hardyfam44 CC BY-SA 3.0

The official investigation by the National Transport Safety Board concluded that the pilot had most likely lost control of the aircraft after facing issues with the fuel selector, causing it nosedive into the ocean.

According to AirSafe.com: “The Board determined that the builder’s decision to locate the unmarked fuel selector handle in a hard-to-access position, unmarked fuel quantity sight gauges, inadequate transition training by the pilot, and his lack of total experience in this type of airplane were factors in the accident.”

Had Denver refueled before taking off, he would not have needed to switch to the reserve tank mid-flight. He was an experienced pilot, but his seemingly blasé attitude to making all the necessary pre-flight checks ended in tragedy.

Had he been alive today, he would be making plans for his 75th birthday which falls on New Year’s Eve. His music legacy lives on.


For Dunkin' Donuts, better sustainability is about the cup

In its first corporate social responsibility report, the company outlines goals for reducing the impact of its packaging and testing new recycling best practices.

By Heather Clancy | August 25, 2011 -- 04:26 GMT (21:26 PDT) | Topic: Innovation

The newly public Dunkin' Donuts has brewed up its first corporate social responsibility and sustainability report and, as you might expect from all the work that rival Starbucks is doing in packaging and cup recycling, one of its primary concerns is the impact of its foam cups. The company has also focused on sourcing more of its coffee from Fair Trade certified growers, according to the report.

Said Karen Raskopf, senior vice president of communications and co-chair of The Dunkin' Donuts & Baskin Robbins Community Foundation:

"We have made good progress in many areas, such as providing more nutritional information for our guests and decreasing the impact of our packaging on the environment, while recognizing there is still much more for us to do. This report represents not only our achievements from the beginning of our CSR journey, but more importantly our commitment to continuing to address the social and environmental issues that face our business."

As I already mentioned, as a convenience-focused food service operation, one of the biggest impacts that Dunkin' Donuts has to worry about is packaging. Right now, according to the report, approximately 15 percent of its packaging is sourced from recycled materials, 15 percent is from paperboard, 24 percent comes from foam, and 24 percent is from plastic resins. With more than 1 billion cups of coffee sold every year, one of the biggest impacts is from its foam hot cup. The company said:

"Over the past few years, we have reviewed or tested nearly every type of single-use hot cup available on the market in our quest for an alternative to the foam cup, and there is simply no single-use hot cup on the market today that meets all of our performance, cost and environmental criteria."

So, yes, the company has looked at lined cups (which are made from renewable sources), which are hard to recycle because special equipment is needed, and compostable paper, which is great but can't be handled by many municipalities simply because they haven't any policy in place to do so, according to Dunkin' Donuts.

Another hidden downside: while the foam cups that Dunkin' Donuts uses have disposal implications that are counter to it sustainability mission, the paper cups it would LIKE to use actually take more energy to produce. One small victory: the company has reduced the weight in both its hot cups and cold cups, which means it is sending 4.6 million fewer pounds to landfills annually.

Another focus that you will hear more about from the Dunkin' Brands group, which includes Baskin Robbins, is what the company plans to do about all those polystyrene pink spoons that it hands out with ice cream servings. The company said it is close to sourcing a recyclable version it things work out, it will be in restaurant locations by 2013.

Overall, here is a synopsis of the Dunkin' Brands packaging goals:

  • Work with suppliers to make sure improvements trickle down consistently throughout the supply chain
  • Audit the waste and recycling practices at certain locations in order to build a better policy for "diversion"
  • Test reusable mugs for iced beverages
  • Come up with a test for an in-store recycling program of foam cups by 2013
  • Find a more sustainable material for its hot cups

You will also hear more about the focus that Dunkin' Donuts will put on helping franchisees adopt operational practices that are more sustainable. For example, the company touts the fact that its St. Petersburg, Fla., site was certified as Silver under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design program in 2010. A second site in the same city will seek LEED certification this year.

Realistically, the company doesn't have a baseline of energy consumption across its restaurants, so it will work to develop one. Over time, it plans to create a set of best practices for energy efficiency, waste diversion and water management that can be shared across all is restaurant locations.


File:Dunkin' logo.svg

Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.

Date/TimeThumbnailDimensionsUserComment
current03:05, 14 January 2019641 × 116 (6 KB) WikiRedactorColor version
08:48, 13 January 2019512 × 92 (3 KB) Störm<> |Purpose= |Replaceability= |other_information= >> <> <>


Ever-growing list of Contributors:

AJ, Aislinn G, Alpha, Andrea, Andrew, Anonymous from San Antonio, Athaleyah, Bonnie, Brian, Brad W., Brandon, Cactus Bob, Caitlin, Chris S, Chris, Christopher, Dave, Doug, Eric, FJP, Gina, Greg, J.T., Jake V, James, James P., Jan, Jarret, Jason, Jayne, John, Killgore, Kirk, Kory, Loomis, Lynn, Marc, Matt, Matthew, Michelle K, Michelle M, Mike, Mike B., Nate, Nate B, Nick B, Pablo, Phoenix, Rachelle K, Raymie X, Rebecca, Rich, Richard, Rob, Roman, Ross, Scott, Sean, Stuart, Sultan, Susan, TR, Yossarian

(sorry to anyone we've missed, let us know if you have content on the site!)


Deadmalls.com is featured in a documentary "Malls R Us" is a powerful reminder as we slide into global economic crisis of how much mass consumption has shaped people's lives and created the public spaces of modern societies, East and West, North and South. This film impresses upon us the folly of our ways, the alternatives we might entertain, but also the difficulties we will face extricating ourselves from a world overly dependent on retail for prosperity and community.
-- Lizabeth Cohen, author of A Consumers' Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption in Postwar America

A fascinating, sumptuously filmed investigation into the history, design, function and future of the shopping mall in modern life. With its global sweep, vintage footage, and searching assessment of the mixed blessings that malls are in our lives, Malls R Us is instant classic-- the documentary you want to see on this subject.
-- Alex Shoumatoff, Contributing Editor, Vanity Fair Magazine


Saucony

Saucony (Sock-uh-knee) was founded in Kutztown, Pennsylvania on the banks of the Saucony Creek – from where the company took inspiration for its name. The logo represents the Creek’s constant flow, and the boulders lining its bed. By 1910, the factory was churning out around 800 pairs of shoes a day. The brand was determined to break into the athletic community which was steadily growing in popularity, introducing their first running shoe, the 7446 Spike. But it wasn’t until the late 1970s when the company found its real fame, gaining notoriety as the running powerhouse it is today. It was no longer a hidden secret, but the only running shoe worth having. Among sneakerheads, the throwback sneaker, the Jazz is the most popular and has been one of the brand’s best selling shoes. It wouldn’t be uncommon to see fans spotted in the brand’s Shadow style, but with the Jazz prominently featured among its early collaborations with the likes of Bodega it remains the brand’s fashionable crossover.

Saucony is established in Pennsylvania on the high banks of the Saucony Creek.

With two of its signature running shoes hitting Runner’s World Top 10, Saucony’s reputation grew as a running powerhouse. It has continued to make strides with innovations and developments ever since.

Saucony introduced the Jazz sneaker. The brand worked closely with podiatrists to create a running shoe that kept runners comfortable and able to handle the impact of distance running. The Jazz is still one of the brand’s most popular sneakers and is often the first to appear in collabs.

Runner Rod Dixon finishes the NY Marathon in spectacular fashion – coming from behind the 26 mile mark to win the race by nine seconds. Afterwards he works with Saucony engineers to create the DXN – personally testing each iteration of the shoe.

Saucony builds on the Jazz to create the Shadow, which boasts a more supportive heel cup.

Saucony release its trademark GRID technology. The concept, still inspiring newer releases, used negative space to improve shock absorption and improve gait to create support and control.

The brand kicks off its first collaboration with Bodega with the Courageous TR. The two have continued to collaborate since.

Known for their Wolverine boots, Wolverine World Wide purchased Saucony in 2012 – adding it to its subsidiaries like Keds and Cat among others.

Saucony collaborates with Boston neighbors Dunkin’ Donuts to create a limited-edition donut-themed collab ahead of the Boston Marathon. The pair upped its game with yet another design in 2019 featuring sprinkles and a pink donut medallion on the laces.

Saucony adds new ISOKNIT technology to its sneakers – combining the ISOFit system with a knitted upper to enhance breathability.

Waltham, Massachusetts, USA

Saucony’s innovative running technology has cemented its position as the go-to trainer for serious and hobbyist runners alike. Boasting a motto of “we exist for runners” it has grown from creating children’s shoes in 1898 to a running powerhouse, continually topping the running community’s annual shoe reviews with styles appealing to the most sluggish of fashionistas whose only exercise is running to cop the latest Saucony collab.

Sections

Company

Features

Web Accessibility Statement

Titelmedia (Highsnobiety), is committed to facilitating and improving the accessibility and usability of its Website, www.highsnobiety.com. Titelmedia strives to ensure that its Website services and content are accessible to persons with disabilities including users of screen reader technology. To accomplish this, Titelmedia has engaged UsableNet Inc, a leading web accessibility consultant to help test, remediate and maintain our Website in-line with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), which also bring the Website into conformance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.

Disclaimer

Please be aware that our efforts to maintain accessibility and usability are ongoing. While we strive to make the Website as accessible as possible some issues can be encountered by different assistive technology as the range of assistive technology is wide and varied.


Toms River Branch

2017 is the 250 th (Semiquincentennial ) Anniversary of Toms River. Plans include special events throughout the anniversary year including the rededication of Huddy Park on June 24, 2017 and many other special events sponsored by community groups such as the Toms River Business Improvement District, Ocean County College, Toms River Regional Schools, Ocean County Cultural and Heritage Commission, Toms River Chamber of Commerce, Ocean County Historical Society, Downtown Toms River, Friends of Ortley Beach, and Ocean County Library.

The village of Toms River was christened in 1712, when a road was laid from Metedeconk over a bridge crossing the Goose Creek River, which soon changed its name to match the village. The origin of the name and the year of the village's original settlement were unsolved mysteries for many years. Some said it was named for Captain William Toms, others credit Old Indian Tom. Most believed it was named for Thomas Luker, who came to the area around 1700 and married Princess Anne, daughter of the local Indian Chief. Only in 1992, with the dedication of a small footbridge in Huddy Park to his memory, was Thomas Luker officially recognized as the source of the “Tom” in Toms River. Over 40 of Luker’s direct descendants and their families attended the ceremony where Ocean County Historian Pauline Miller laid to rest the other stories. It was one of many events celebrating the 225 th anniversary of Dover Township.

Dover Township, incorporated June 24, 1767, was carved from the southern section of Shrewsbury Township in Monmouth County. The Toms River area thrived, and its earliest settlers, of English origin, supported themselves by lumbering, charcoaling, whaling, fishing, farming, and iron making. Access to the Atlantic Ocean was important, as during this time Cranberry Inlet (now the Chadwick Beach area) was open. Toms River was ranked as a leading port until a major storm in the early 1800s closed the inlet.

At the time of the Revolutionary War, the village had fifteen houses. The port area was a base for many privateering vessels which raided British or Tory craft, confiscating their cargoes. It housed an extensive salt works established by the Continental Congress. The windmill-powered facility was designed to supply the salt necessary to manufacture gunpowder and to flavor and preserve foods. A company of militia was sent by George Washington to guard the marsh flats at Shelter Cove and a block house was constructed to protect the salt works. On March 24, 1782, a band of Tories, led by British officers, burned the town and attacked the poorly-defended blockhouse. They took Captain Joshua Huddy prisoner, and later hanged him. This incident, and the subsequent demands for retribution, delayed the signing of the peace treaty ending the war until 1783.

By 1850, Toms River had grown to fifty houses, and was selected as the site of the county seat for the newly-created Ocean County. After the Civil War, wealthy New York merchants began spending summers in Toms River, and the arrival of the Central Railroad in 1866 and the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1880 brought hordes of vacationers to the community. Toms River's reputation as a resort contributed to its growth during the period 1910-1920, and by 1930 the population numbered 3,970. During World War II, many came to the area because of its proximity to Lakehurst Naval Air Station and Fort Dix. With the opening of the Garden State Parkway in 1954, commuting time between Toms River and northern New Jersey was dramatically reduced, which encouraged people to establish homes here while retaining their jobs in other areas of the state. The population of Dover Township in 1950 was 7,707 and grew to 17,414 residents by 1960 by 1970 the population had grown to 43,751 by 1980 to 64,455 by 1990 to 76,371 and by the 2010 census to 91,239. Today’s Toms River Township comprises the neighborhood sections of Toms River, East Dover, West Dover, North Dover, Pleasant Plains, Silverton and the beach areas of Ortley, Normandy Beach, and a portion of Pelican Island.

The Great Nor’easter of 1992 struck all of Ocean County hard: river and bay fronts as well as the ocean front felt the gales of freezing rain and 100 mile per hour winds and experienced extensive flooding and storm damage during the early hours of December 11, 1992. Perhaps the biggest and happiest event of the 1990s, however, was Toms River East Little League’s victory in the Little League World Series in 1998. Celebrated by a parade, proclamations, congratulation signs on dozens of businesses, and the renaming of Route 37 as Little League World Champions Boulevard, it was an event no one in town will soon forget. One member of that Little League Champion team, Todd Frazier, went on to play for the Cincinnati Reds and the Chicago White Sox and won the 2015 MLB Home Run Derby.

Starting in 2002, a Business Improvement District was formed as part of the downtown revitalization effort. Known as “Downtown Toms River,” the business organization hosts events such as the annual New Jersey Chili & Salsa Cook-Off and the New Jersey Ice Cream Festival, along with weekly summer Cruisin’ events, which allow aficionados to showcase their classic cars. In 2005 a weekly Farmer’s Market was initiated.

Following a referendum on November 14, 2006, Dover Township officially became Toms River Township. The new name represents the identification of residents with the Toms River heritage. The Toms River Seaport Society, founded in 1976, hosts an annual Wooden Boat Festival and in 2011 moved the Maritime Museum to its new building on Hooper Avenue.

On October 29, 2012, Toms River was changed forever by Superstorm Sandy. A high-pressure system over the North Atlantic combined with a dip in the jet stream caused Hurricane Sandy to take a sharp left turn and make landfall near Brigantine. The storm had with winds of over 80 mph, a footprint over 900 miles wide, the lowest pressure ever recorded north of North Carolina, a storm surge of over 12 feet and maximum rainfall of 13 inches. The Toms River area felt the full impact of the storm, with one of the worst hit areas being the Ortley Beach section of the township. Toms River is on its way to a full recovery, although there are still areas which still in the rebuilding process.

In 1920 legislative enactment allowed New Jersey counties to establish county library systems and in Ocean County residents voted to create a free county library in November 1924. At that moment, Ocean County joined only four other counties in the new plan for New Jersey library service.

The Ocean County Board of Chosen Commissioners quickly appointed the first five members of the Ocean County Library Commission in early 1925 and the real planning began. The system needed people and Miss Elizabeth Wurts was hired as the first librarian at an annual salary of $2,000.

On September 19, 1925 the Ocean County Library opened its doors to the public from a small cottage known as the Lonan Building on the grounds of the County Courthouse. The small library cottage was open to the public only one day a week while a Model T paneled truck (purchased for $997) brought library service to a rural county of 28,000. It stopped at thirty-two schools and twenty-three “stations,” i.e. post offices, stores, and enclosed porches of private homes.

As Ocean County’s population grew, so did the library system. As the years went by independent municipal libraries joined the county system and brand new branches were built in towns that had never had their own libraries.

The first branch of the library system opened in Long Beach Island in 1956 in a room inside the Long Beach Township Municipal Building. Due to the hard work of the Friends of the Island Library Association, money was raised to build a new LBI library building that opened January 16, 1960. The Friends were responsible for the mortgage and maintenance of the new building and grounds while the library system provided the books and the staff. The next branch was in Brick in 1965.

The first independent town library that joined the county library system became the Point Pleasant Beach Branch. While always located in Point Pleasant Beach, when the library was founded in June 1894 it was known as Point Pleasant Library. This was long before the area of Brick known as West Point Pleasant was incorporated as Point Pleasant Borough in 1920. The library became the Point Pleasant Beach Branch in 1967. Tuckerton, Dover Township, Point Pleasant Beach, and Lakewood were independent municipal libraries before joining the county library system.

Branches added to the Ocean County Library System

Point Pleasant Beach 1967

Bay Head Reading Center 1991

Upper Shores (Lavallette) 1995

Whiting Reading Center 2007

Toms River Headquarters

From its initial location in the Lonan building, the main library moved to temporary quarters in the Robbins Street Firehouse before moving to the east wing of the Courthouse in 1950. In 1962, the library moved again, this time to 15 Hooper Avenue, into what had once been a gymnasium for St. Joseph Church. It is now the Ocean County Probation Office.

The library serving both as Toms River Branch and System Headquarters moved to its current location, 101 Washington Street, in October 1981. This facility provided the library the opportunity to expand its services and to integrate the Children’s Services and Media Services departments into the main building.

The Township of Dover Library or the Bishop Memorial Library opened in 1941 on Washington Street. The Bishop Library was named after the Victorian era local writer, cranberry grower and adventurer, Nathaniel Holmes Bishop. After a referendum, the Dover Township Library merged with the Ocean County Library System in 1976. The building first was repurposed as the Children’s library, then after the new Toms River branch was built next door, it housed a non-circulating local history and genealogy research collection.

In 1997, a computer training lab was added to the Bishop building offering free computer classes and Internet access to the public until 2006. In 2006, all of the services formerly available in the Bishop Memorial Library Building were moved to the main building. The genealogical and historical research collection was relocated to the Hugh B. Wheeler Room. The computer training lab was expanded and re-established as a 20 seat Technology Lab.

Following the completion of the expansion, a process that required four years, the Toms River Branch doubled its size to 100,000 square feet. Among the improvements was a 250 seat multipurpose room for concerts and special events – Mancini Hall (named after Ocean County *Freeholder James J. Mancini, the “father of the modern [Ocean] County library system”), the technology training lab, a youth services area with a story and craft room, a large Teen Zone with a plasma TV for gaming, expanded reading rooms, a silent study tower, conference and group study rooms, expanded space for videos, audio books, DVDs, an art gallery and an exhibit room.

The branch was designed to meet the multi-use requests of a diverse population base, while remaining flexible to adjust to changing technological needs.

The Church and Steeple

The former Presbyterian Church of Toms River, which dates back to 1853, has also been on the receiving end of numerous facelifts and repurposing. The congregation worshipped in the building until 1970, when the church moved to a new, larger location. The building, purchased by Dover Township, remained empty until it was incorporated and renovated for use as a meeting room.

The steeple was badly damaged by lightning in 1999 leaving an open gash of almost six feet by three feet. It was repaired but several years later upon inspection, it was found to be so infested with termites that it was deemed in danger of collapse. After being torn down in 2005, a new copper-covered steeple was installed on Jan. 16, 2007. The chimes from the original steeple were recorded so the hourly bells can still be heard.

A Dunkin’ Donuts cafe opened at the site of the former meeting area in May 2007 through a contract with the State Commission for the Blind and Visually Impaired. It continues to serve the public and provides a place for refreshment and relaxation.

Hurricane Sandy and the Ocean County Library

Hurricane Sandy, slamming into New Jersey on October 28-29, 2012, impacted Ocean County in many ways. Thousands of homes and business were destroyed or damaged. Power was out in many locations for days. Many roads were impassable along the shore. Library branches opened to the public as soon as it was safe to do so to provide warmth, information, computer access and charging stations. Many of the libraries became staging and photocopying centers for FEMA workers who visited houses and businesses. Library staff quickly compiled and constantly updated the library’s website with resources for hurricane recovery. Several towns held their public meetings in branches. Available branches opened on Election Day so residents could vote, have access to internet, and obtain information. The Library partnered with the Ocean County Board of Chosen Commissioners to host two sessions of Beyond Sandy: The Storm Resource Expo that provided attendees the opportunity to speak with representatives from local, county, state, and federal agencies. Two library locations suffered significant damage in the storm. The Bay Head Reading Center reopened in June 2013 and the Upper Shores (Lavallette) branch reopened in August 2013.


Watch the video: The history of Dunkin (June 2022).