We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
An island off the State of Washington.
(AG-130: dp. 620; 1. 177'; b. 33'; dr. 10'; s. 13 k.;
cpl. 26; cl. Camano )
Camano (AG-130) was built in 1944 by Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp., Long Island, N.Y.; acquired as the Army FS-256 at Apra, Guam, 16 July 1947; and commissioned the same day, Lieutenant (junior grade) J. J. Daly in command.
Following the completion of her conversion 8 October 1947, Camano began cargo and passenger duty out of Guam to the Caroline Islands. She was reclassified AKL-1, 31 March 1949. On 2 June 1949 she sailed to Pearl Harbor for overhaul, then resumed duty at Guam 24 September and remained there, except for another overhaul at Pearl Harbor, until 26 July 1951 when she was decommissioned and transferred to the Department of the Interior. Camano was returned to the Navy 22 December 1952.
Stanwood is located in northwest Snohomish County at the mouth of the old channel of the Stillaguamish River. Most of the town is on the river delta and in recent years it has begun to grow to the east above the river's flood plain. It is the commercial center for residents of Camano Island in Island County to the west and those of the river valley east of Interstate 5 and north of the Tulalip Reservation. The town was platted in 1888 and incorporated in 1903. A second community, "East Stanwood," located one mile east of the of the waterfront business district, was platted in 1906 and incorporated in 1922. Two large lumber mills operated on the waterfront with several small shingle mills in surrounding areas. Hay and oats from valley farms were shipped out on steamboats as cash crops. As lumber mills closed in the 1930s, the agricultural economy grew. After World War II, Twin City Foods changed from a cannery to a freezing plant and expanded along the waterfront. Stanwood and East Stanwood consolidated in 1960. Today, 2008, the town is still surrounded by farm fields, wildlife-rich shorelines, and views of the Olympics and Cascades -- attractive as a small community with many natural and economic assets and with many people who are involved in helping it grow and change sensibly.
Stanwood’s settlement began about 1866 near the mouth of the Stillaguamish River and was first called Centerville. There was a saloon and trading post there serving farmers and loggers who were staking claims upriver and in the river’s delta. Coast Salish people of the Stillaguamish Tribe had an encampment near the site of the first trading post and other villages upriver and along the shoreline of Port Susan. The word Stillaguamish means “people of the river.” Neighboring tribal groups were the Kikiallus at Conway and on Camano Island, and the Skagit people and the Snohomish people to the south, among several others. They, both men and women, were often crucial in transporting early settlers and their belongings to every area of the Puget Sound using their expert canoeing skills.
Visitors and new residents are barely aware of the river that was the commercial connection for new farmers and businesses in the lower Stillaguamish River Valley. But they can see it in the distance as they ride over the bridge on State Route 532. In its earliest days, the river was wide enough to allow steamboats to navigate its winding route through its tideflats six river miles up to Florence, the site of another early river community. The oldest part of Stanwood near the river still has many of its earliest buildings -- a few built soon after the 1888 Plat of Stanwood was recorded.
The post office was established and designated Centerville in 1870 and that became the first name of the small commercial trading post at the mouth of the river. The mail arrived via Utsalady on a launch or canoe steamboats weren’t yet a regular service. In 1873, the post office was moved to a lodging house on the northern shoreline of the Stillaguamish River to a hotel where the Twin City Foods Company is now located. Four years later, in 1877, D. O. Pearson (1846-1929) arrived with capital and goods for a store worth $4,000 (Whitfield, Vol. p. 490). He also built a wharf to make it possible for a steamboat to dock along the Stillaguamish River. He became the sixth Postmaster in seven years. Pearson also gave the town a less common name -- his wife Clara’s maiden name, “Stanwood.” Pearson and his father, mother and sisters came to Puget Sound on the Mercer Expeditions and settled on Whidbey Island.
It was about this same time that two prominent Norwegian settlers arrived, Oliver B. Iverson (1845-1940) and Rev. Christian Joergenson (1847-1929) who in turn encouraged relatives and friends to immigrate and to farm or work in the logging camps. O. B. Iverson was a surveyor and became a territorial legislator. He left written accounts of his exploration of the area. Christian Joergenson came to the community as the Lutheran minister and later served for two years as a Snohomish County Commissioner, farmed, and was one of the founders of the Stanwood Cooperative Creamery Association among several other accomplishments. His son, Gustav, wrote an extensive series of articles in the Twin City News that appeared in 1848 and 1949. Both men were influential in bringing Norwegian friends and relatives to the area.
To make farming possible, land was cleared and the homesteaders built dikes along the sloughs and the river. In the 1880s logging camps surrounded the Stillaguamish River Valley area. Farmers were growing hay and oats for cash. Some had large ranches with many cattle but they all had a few cows, chickens, fruit trees, berries and survived as they could doing this back breaking work. Some were also loggers or mill men who settled after the mill at Utsalady on Camano Island closed down in 1891.
Tale of Two Towns
In 1891, the Seattle & Montana Railway (controlled by Great Northern Railway interests) ran its tracks one mile east of the Stanwood town plat and established a depot there connecting the valley with Bellingham to the north and Seattle to the south. This was not convenient for shipping grain or shingles that had been oriented towards using water transportation and for some Stanwood businessmen this was considered a setback. Despite the railroad bypassing it, a fire in 1892 that destroyed 13 buildings in Stanwood, and a national depression, the area slowly began to grow. By 1895 the Stanwood Cooperative Creamery was started and built its building on the highland east of the depot, beginning the story of the two towns, Stanwood and East Stanwood.
In 1898 Friday Fish Cannery was established on the waterfront. It was shortlived but a great boost to local morale. The most influential event was the money from the ventures in the Klondike Gold Rush of 1898. Several Stanwood men went to Alaska and from there to the Klondike and returned with the means to buy farms or invest in businesses.
Five years later, in 1903, the Town of Stanwood and the Stanwood Lumber Company were incorporated. Stanwood Lumber Company was located at the mouth of the river where the river forks north to Skagit Bay and south to Port Susan. Associated with the mill was the boom company that handled logs coming down the river. East of the mill was the granary. Near the depot (the future East Stanwood one mile east) the People’s Union operated a general store and meat market. Its new hall was dedicated in 1904.
In 1904, The Bank of Stanwood was incorporated and the H & H Railroad Co. was built. To make use of the Great Northern, the H & H Railroad was established to connect Stanwood mills and passengers with the depot one mile east. Often called Hall & Hall, the H & H Railroad was run by John W. Hall (1870-1931), his wife Alice, and later, his son Jesse. They operated the Stanwood Feed and Livery that provided carriage service to and from the depot and in the early years also operated a streetcar. The railroad engine was often affectionately referred to as the “Dinky.” During the 1930s it achieved some notoriety as the “Shortest Railroad in the World” (Essex, v. 1, 25,26, 62,92-93 v. 2, 110). With H. C. Anderson (1865-1914) as a primary investor and the Stanwood Lumber Company as its major early customer, it carried passengers and products between Stanwood and the Great Northern Depot in East Stanwood. Sometimes school children used it to get to school. News accounts heralded the H & H part of the modern age of the streetcar which was starting in other parts of Snohomish County. This small railroad started with a used steam engine and trolley in 1905 and ran until the 1930s. It changed engines and didn’t carry passengers in its later years. In the late 20s and 30s its operation depended on the needs of the mills.
The waterfront was still important for many years as the site of the two large mills and the location of the granary. Later known as the Stanwood Grain Company that brokered the grain for the farmers as it was shipped out, the company moved to the depot site about 1914. About 1941, it became the Twin City Grain Company. Today (2008) the Wolfkill Feed and Fertilizer Company still operates a grain elevator at this site.
Irvine Slough and Hamilton Stack
On the east end of the waterfront, the Irvine Slough entered the river. It was named for John Irvine who had a ranch and the second general store in Stanwood near the mouth of the slough. In the early days, the slough carried logs and barges from the uplands and shingle mill at East Stanwood. It was near the mouth of this slough that the second large mill was established on the site surrounding the current “Hamilton Stack” where there had been a succession of small shingle mills from the 1880s to 1916. In 1916 George Kunze (d. 1922) of the Wisconsin Timber Co. completed a new 160,000-square foot mill with four large fireproof dry-kilns on this site. In 1923, the mill was purchased and operated by the Clough Lumber Co.
The “Hamilton stack,” a smokestack, was built by Clough in 1927 to elevate the smoke from the burning refuse so it wouldn’t blow into town. It is still a major landmark, seasonally decorated with lights by volunteers from the Lion’s Club and Fire Department. The mill stopped running in early 1930s and the property was then taken over by the Hamilton family in about 1945. They operate the current lumber company by that name and until 1960 also had a small mill. The mill at this site was continually plagued by fires, destroying attempts to upgrade until the 1960s when it was closed in anticipation of new State Route 532 proposed through the area. The slough was diverted at that time to enter the river farther east through pump station drain pipes.
East Stanwood Beginnings
In East Stanwood, after the establishment of the People’s Union, the community slowly began to grow. Upon his return from gold mining in 1904, Francis Giard (1872-1956) bought his farm east of Stanwood and grew fruit and berries on what is currently the land east of QFC to Viking Village. He was an early partner of the Bank of Stanwood. In 1906, he registered the plat of East Stanwood adjacent to the depot and just east of his large farm.
In 1922 that East Stanwood became an incorporated town with Giard as its first mayor. In 1907, a relative newcomer, Carl J. Gunderson (1876-1976), arrived. After a couple years in Cedarhome, he became manager of the People’s Union Store. He was instrumental in establishing the People’s Bank in 1910, which later became the State Bank of East Stanwood.
Roads and Road-Building
In 1906, the local chapter of the Washington Good Roads Association was organized to promote road building. The road to Camano Island was created when the bridge was built in 1909. At that time the mile of road between Stanwood and East Stanwood (271st Ave NW) was paved with the first hard pavements of vitrified brick laid in Snohomish County. The first experimental mile of concrete pavement was laid the following year, 1914, from Stanwood north towards Skagit County, now 102nd Ave NW. It was at the time the main highway.
Auto stages (early-day public transportation) connected with the streetcars in Everett and Mt. Vernon and cars had to go through Stanwood. In the 1920s the Pacific Highway was built, bypassing Stanwood east of the depot. Two remaining sections of these early brick roads still add character and a unique sense of place to the growing community.
With road improvements, East Stanwood could grow. In 1912 the Pacific Coast Condensed Milk Company started its Stanwood operation on the waterfront but in 1914 it moved to a new processing facility on the hillside above the railroad tracks. It was a 35,000-square-foot facility for sterilizing and canning milk from area farmers. A year later it changed its name to Carnation Milk. Eventually this facility became a vegetable cannery sited on the hillside east of the railroad tracks, convenient for shipping by rail. It now serves as a cold storage facility.
That same year, 1914, the East Stanwood Post Office was established and the town began to come into its own. When the high school building was completed next to the North Street School in Stanwood it drew students from the surrounding communities of East Stanwood, Camano Island, Cedarhome, Florence, and Norman. The location of this school was controversial because many East Stanwood residents preferred to see it in a more central location. A deal had been struck to put it between the two “towns,” but that fell through. Resentment over this continued until after East Stanwood formally incorporated and formed its own school district just months later. In 1922, a bond issue of $8,000 was passed for construction of a two-room grade school on land acquired from Peter Henning (1868-1955) on the hill east of the depot. By 1925, the mission style Lincoln School was dedicated. This building is now the local senior center.
Twin Cities Become One City
Over the years the two communities acquired the familiar name, the “Twin Cities.” During that time, "Stanwood" referred to the area by the waterfront. After 1910, the river began to require the clearing of snags and dredging to be navigated safely. The waterfront declined as steamboats declined as viable transportation. As logjams were cleared, the river’s main flow had gradually diverted into Port Susan through the Hatt Slough channel. The river that was once deep enough for steamers is now considered little more than a tidal slough.
In 1918, Lien Bros. Packing Co. was established on the waterfront located between the two mills. This was the predecessor canning company of the current Twin City Foods., Inc., that became a major employer replacing the mills on the waterfront as they closed. The rail connection was still necessary so Twin City Foods Company built its own railroad spur north of town. Today it is one of the country’s leading private-label frozen vegetable processing facilities.
The two towns consolidated in 1960 after years of complicated rivalries over school issues, commercial interests, and perhaps clashing personalities. The river was a major character in the drama when the railroad bypassed the waterfront and whenever it flooded. Finally the costs of providing public works forced the two towns to consolidate.
After the merger in 1960. the waterfront was all but forgotten. New development was occurring in East Stanwood and between the towns. In the following decade, State Route 532 bypassed the old highway through the town to Camano Island. The new road was built high enough to act as a levee to divert water and keep it from threatening town except for the highest-water-level events, but surrounding residents still suffer. Though Stanwood has not been flooded since 1959, the threat continues. Early photographs document floods that townspeople and farmers endured with a sense of humor -- even appreciating the rich silt that they felt fertilized their fields. Yet they serve to remind the community of its precarious existence.
The city limits of Stanwood had only 1,961 people in the 1990 census. In 2005, it had 4,580. Not until the 1990s did new commercial and residential development begin with the annexation of land to the east and above the floodplain on the hill, beginning a third phase of Stanwood’s history.
Intersection of 270th Ave NW (Main Street) and 102nd Ave NW (Market Street) with original bricked street, Stanwood, ca. 1935
Photo by J. Boyd Ellis, Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 2002.109.10)
Map of Stanwood and the Lower Stillaguamish River Valley, n.d.
Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society
Section of map drawn for homesteaders, Lower Stillaguamish River Valley, Centerville (later Stanwood), 1873
Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society(SAHS 95.139.09)
Indian canoe at the Stanwood waterfront, ca. 1910
Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 94.32.06)
Pearson Family gathered for wedding in front of the D. O. Pearson House, Stanwood, 1907
Photo by John T. Wagness, Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 92.07.02b)
D. O. Pearson House (1890), 12108 102nd Avenue NW, Stanwood, 1920
Photo by John T. Wagness, Courtesy Stanwood Historical Society and Everett Public Library
Great Northern Railway Depot, Stanwood, ca. 1910
Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 88.06.174.02)
The Gleaner (1907), Stanwood waterfront, n.d.
Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 90.12.01f)
Cooperative Creamery (established 1895), Stanwood, n.d.
Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 86.08.98.01)
Stanwood Lumber Company workers, Stanwood, ca. 1910
Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 96.25.10)
Business block looking east toward railroad tracks, 271st Avenue NW, East Stanwood, ca. 1906
Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 88.06.143.05)
The People’s Union building (1904), now the “Granery,” Stanwood, n.d.
Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 93.113.01v)
First brick streets in Snohomish County being laid, looking west from business block, East Stanwood, 1913
Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 96.26.11)
Condensery (now North Star Cold Storage) overlooking the flood plain and Skagit Bay in the distance, East Stanwood, 1913
Photo by Juleen, Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 88.06.284.01)
Market Street (looking north) during flooding, Stanwood, ca. 1909
Photo by John T. Wagness, Courtesy Stanwood Area Historical Society (SAHS 93.87.13)
Wisconsin Timber Company (later Clough Mill) mouth of Irvine Slough, Stanwood, ca. 1917
Services for seniors on Camano began long before Camano Senior Services Association (CSSA) was formed.
In the fall of 1972, the problem of services for the seniors of Camano Island became acute. At that time, the Camwood Senior Center (now known as the Stanwood Senior Center) was organized for Camano and Stanwood seniors. Few services were available in fact the nearest meal site was in Arlington. Many Camano seniors objected to the long trip to take advantage of the Nutrition Program and other services. Snohomish County and Island County Commissioners endeavored to pool their efforts to help solve this problem. A grant was written and, in January of 1973, Senior Services of Island County (SSIC) began providing the Nutrition Program at Camwood. The meals were prepared at the Camano Inn located on SR 532 on Camano (later known as the Shipwreck Bar and Grill, which has since been torn down). Meals were delivered (by the former Director and volunteers) to the Camwood Senior Center and the Camano City Fire Hall on Wednesdays, to the Camano Country Club Fire Station and Camano Lutheran Church on Tuesdays and the Utsalady Ladies Aid Hall on Thursdays.
The history of the Camano Center is woven in a common theme of neighbors realizing that there were unmet basic needs in the community and finding ways to meet those needs. Here is a quick summary of milestones from the Center’s past.
1972, The nearest meal service for seniors is in Arlington. The Camwood Senior Center (now known as the Stanwood Senior Center) is organized to provide meals for Camano and Stanwood seniors.
1973, Senior Services of Island County (SSIC) begins providing the Nutrition Program, delivering meals to several locations on the island.
1974 The nutrition program moves to Camano Island occupying a rented space in the Camano Plaza.
1978 The “Blue Building”, currently the Camano Multi-Purpose Center, opens. The building housed not only the nutrition program, but other agencies that provided health and human services.
1982 The Camano Senior Services Association (CSSA) is incorporated to ‘provide social, economic, educational, recreational and other activities for the benefit of retired persons residing on Camano Island’. It provided 100% of the Center’s operating costs.
1982 The 2 nd Chance Thrift Shop opens in the current Camano Yacht Club building.
1985 2 nd Chance moves to its current site on Highway 532.
1987 A committee is appointed to study the feasibility of expansion.
1987 CSSA purchases an 18.2-acre parcel of land on Arrowhead Rd.
1989 The Center extends hours to five days a week in response to growing demand.
1989 A strategic plan calls for the creation of an independent senior center by 2005.
1999 CSSA sells 13 acres of the Arrowhead property to the Stanwood-Camano School District.
2000 Construction begins on the new Senior and Community Center.
2001 The new building is opened to the public.
2008 The Center extends its hours to 8PM four days a week.
2011 The Camano Senior and Community Center is renamed the Camano Center to attract younger members of the community.
2013 A major gift from the estate of Patricia Hartley allows the Center to pay off its mortgage.
2014 The Center adds Saturday hours and the Legacy garden is created to honor donors.
2015 Island County funding ends. The center is 100% self-funded for the second time.
2015 A capital campaign is launched to expand the thrift shop.
2016 The Board of Directors begins a many-month strategic planning process which includes the creation of a new mission statement.
2017 The 2 nd Chance Thrift shop moves into its new building.
2018 The Center expands its major giving program with the creation of an endowment fund.
Island County, the eighth oldest county in Washington, was created on January 6, 1853, by the Oregon Territorial Legislature from a portion of Thurston County and was named for the myriad of islands in Northwestern Washington. It originally encompassed Snohomish, Skagit, Whatcom, and San Juan Counties. At present, Island County consists of just two large islands, Whidbey and Camano, and six small, uninhabited islands: Smith Island to the west, Deception and Pass islands in Deception Pass, and Ben Ure, Strawberry, and Baby islands in Saratoga Passage. The area that comprises Island County was first explored by Captain George Vancouver (1758-1798) during the spring of 1792. The county has a total area of 517 square miles 208.4 square miles of land and 309 square miles of water. In area, it is the second smallest county in Washington. It is bounded on the north by Deception Pass, on the south by Puget Sound, on the east by Skagit Bay and Saratoga Passage, and on the west by Admiralty Inlet and the Strait of Juan de Fuca. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Island County had a population of 71,558 22,477 living in incorporated cities and towns and 49,081 living in unincorporated areas. The county seat is the historic town of Coupeville on Whidbey Island.
Coast Salish Communities
For thousands of years, the only occupants of the Pacific Northwest were Indians who lived in large communal longhouses subsisting on fish, shellfish, wild game as well as roots and berries. Whidbey and Camano Islands, as well as the San Juan Islands were occupied by several groups of Coast Salish Indians including Skagit, Snohomish, and a small number of Clallam. With the exception of periodic wars with other Indian tribes, life was relatively quiet for many centuries.
In the late 1700s and early 1800s the Indian population was decimated by disease transmitted through contact with European and American explorers. In some areas diphtheria, smallpox, and measles killed 90 percent of the Indians. By the time non-Indian settlers arrived, some local tribes had populations of only a few hundred and were so depleted they could not effectively resist the intruders.
Whidbey Island, which forms the western portion of Island County, was named on June 10, 1792, by Captain Vancouver for Joseph Whidbey (1755-1833), Master of the HMS Discovery, who proved it was an island by discovering Deception Pass. He was also the first documented non-Indian explorer to set foot on the island, landing at Penn’s Cove near what was to become Coupeville. The Indian inhabitants' name for the island was Tscha-kole-chy.
Whidbey Island, the largest island in Puget Sound, is approximately 45 miles long, 10 miles across at its widest point and one-and-a half miles at its narrowest. The island boasts five state parks, eight large lakes and 200 miles of shoreline. Narrow necks of land at Penn’s Cove and Holmes Harbor on Saratoga Passage divide the island into three distinct areas referred to as North, Central, and South Whidbey. State Route 20 connects Whidbey Island to the mainland west of Anacortes via the Deception Pass and Canoe Pass bridges and bisects Deception Pass State Park, a 4,134-acre marine and camping park encompassing the northern tip of Whidbey Island. The bridges were financed with funds from the federal Public Works Administration and the Washington Emergency Relief Administration, along with county funds, and were dedicated on July 31, 1935. The surrounding park was improved with Civilian Conservation Corps labor. The island is also served by two Washington State Ferry routes: Mukilteo-Clinton and Port Townsend-Coupeville (formerly named "Port Townsend-Keystone" for the unincorporated community on the west side of the island, some five miles from the city of Coupeville, where the terminal is located). According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2000, Whidbey Island had a population 58,211.
The first settler on Whidbey Island was Thomas W. Glasgow, a farmer, who filed a land claim on what was to become Ebey’s Prairie in 1848. Glasgow was married to Julia, the daughter of Patkanim, chief of the Snohomish Tribe. After filing his claim in Olympia, Glasgow and a friend, A. B. Rabbeson, returned to island and found approximately 8,000 Indians from several Pacific Northwest tribes encamped at Penn’s Cove. Julia said the Indians had gathered for a grand council to discuss the incursion of incoming settlers into their traditional hunting and fishing grounds. She suggested that Glasgow and Rabbeson leave because their lives were in danger. Later, Julia joined Glasgow in Olympia where they were formalized their marriage and raised a family. The Glasgows never returned to Whidbey Island.
Donation Land Act
On September 27, 1850, Congress passed the Oregon Donation Land Act, granting a "donation" of free land -- 320 acres to each single man and 640 acres to each married couple -- to anyone who had settled on the land before December 1 of that year. Colonel Isaac Neff Ebey (1818-1857) was the first man to file a claim, for 640 acres, in Central Whidbey Island, on October 15, 1850. The land, on the west shore immediately south of Penn’s Cove, has been memorialized in history as Ebey’s Landing and Ebey’s Prairie. Several other settlers, mostly family and friends, filed for claims in the area shortly thereafter.
They converted the rich black loam of the prairies into farms, planting wheat, oats, and potatoes, and some raised sheep. The settlers also engaged in logging. Oak trees were sold for ship decks and planking, and the tall, straight Douglas-firs for masts and spars. Coveland, a small settlement at the head of Penn’s Cove, served as the Island County seat (1853-1881) and provided the island’s first trading post, opened by Captain Benjamin Barstow in 1853. In 1888, a group of land developers platted Coveland and changed the name to San de Fuca, chosen because of its proximity to the Straits of Juan de Fuca.
Colonel Ebey was active in politics and held several public posts. In 1852, he served as a representative from Thurston County in the Oregon Territory Legislative Assembly and was instrumental in the formation of Island, Jefferson, Pierce, and King counties. In 1853, Ebey was appointed as Island County’s first Justice of the Peace and also served as a probate judge. This same year, President Franklin Pierce (1804-1869) appointed Ebey as Collector of Customs for the Puget Sound District. Ebey promptly moved the Customs House from Olympia to Port Townsend. During the Indian Wars (1855-1856), he commanded a company of Washington Territorial Volunteers.
On August 11, 1857, Ebey was shot and beheaded at his Whidbey Island home by a band of Haida Indians who believed he was a Tyee or chief of the new settlers. The killing was to avenge the death of a Tyee and 27 Indians killed at Port Gamble in November 1856 during a battle with the USS Massachusetts.
Coupeville, located on the south shore of Penn’s Cove, is the oldest town on Whidbey Island and in Island County. It was founded by Thomas Coupe (1818-1875) captain of the bark Success, who arrived in Puget Sound in 1852 and filed a 320-acre donation land claim on the site. Captain Coupe is the only man known to have sailed a square-rigged sailing ship through treacherous Deception Pass.
The town was established in the early 1850s after several sea captains who had been plying the waters of Puget Sound decided to retire there, filing donation land claims. Coupeville, perfectly situated in Central Whidbey Island across from burgeoning Port Townsend, prospered and grew. The town replaced Coveland as the county seat in 1881 and was incorporated in late April, 1910. The Indian name for Coupeville was reported to be P't-sa-tl-y, meaning "snake basket." According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Coupeville had a population of 1,723.
Fort Ebey and Fort Casey
Immediately west of Coupeville, on Pigeon Point, is Fort Ebey, built by the Harbor Defense Command during World War II (1941-1945) to help protect military bases around Puget Sound. Along with gun emplacements, it was also an important radar site. This property was acquired by the state in 1968 and became Fort Ebey State Park, a 645-acre campground with three miles of saltwater shoreline, in 1981.
Four miles south of Coupeville, on Admiralty Head, is Fort Casey, built by the U.S. Army at the turn of the twentieth century. Activated in 1901, this imposing fortification was one of three major Coast Artillery forts built to protect Puget Sound from invasion by sea. Along with Fort Flagler on Marrowstone Island, and Fort Worden at Point Wilson, the three forts formed a “Triangle of Fire” that would destroy any enemy vessel attempting to enter Admiralty Inlet. Together, these fortifications constituted the heart of the Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound. Fort Casey is also home to the beautiful Admiralty Head Lighthouse, built in 1903.
The Department of Defense deactivated Fort Casey in 1953 and transferred the property to General Services Administration for disposal. In 1955, Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission acquired 100 acres of Fort Casey’s battery area for use as a state park and historical monument. Seattle Pacific University purchased 87 acres, which included most of the fort’s administrative buildings and housing, to create the Camp Casey Conference Center. The present Fort Casey State Park, which includes the Keystone Spit area, was acquired between 1955 and 1988 in three parcels, at a total cost of $300,000.
On December 12, 1973, the National Park Service listed Central Whidbey Island (also known as Ebey’s Landing National Historic Reserve) on the National Register as a Historic District (listing No. 73001869). The Washington State Advisory Council on Historic Preservation also listed the district on the Washington Heritage Register (listing No. 004). In 1980, Fort Ebey and Fort Casey State Parks, including the Admiralty Head Lighthouse, were incorporated into the listings. Today, the Central Whidbey Island Historic District, stretching roughly six miles on either side of Coupeville, and encompassing approximately 25 square miles, is one of the largest historic districts in the country, and has more than 100 structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Oak Harbor is located on the east shore of North Whidbey Island, about 10 miles north of Coupeville. It was named by Dr. Richard H. Landsdale, an early settler on Penn’s Cove, for the many large oak trees (including Garry oaks) in the vicinity, an unusual feature in this part of the state. The Indian name for the Oak Harbor/Crescent Harbor area was Kla-tole-tsche. The settlement was founded by three veterans of the California Gold Rush: Zakarias Martin Taftezon (1821-1901), Ulrich Freund, and Clement W. "Charlie" Sumner They came from Olympia by Indian canoe, looking for land. They landed on the western shore of Crescent Harbor and, after seeing the empty fertile prairie, returned to Olympia, filing Donation Land Claims on January 4, 1851.
In the 1850s, Irish immigrants began to settle in the Oak Harbor area, followed by Dutch immigrants in the 1890s. The town of Oak Harbor was officially incorporated on May 14, 1915. In July 1920, the “Oak Harbor Fire” destroyed much of the town. The town struggled through the Great Depression (1929-1939) until 1941 when the U.S. Navy arrived to build an air base. Suddenly Oak Harbor, a quiet farming community of some 650 inhabitants, was transformed into a boomtown as thousands of construction workers and naval personnel arrived in the area. The number of active duty military personnel in Island County, excluding dependents, stays relatively constant, at about 6,000 to 7,000. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Oak Harbor, the largest city in Island County, had a population of 19,795.
North Whidbey Island was essentially a rural, agricultural community until January 17, 1941, when the U.S. Navy decided to build a seaplane base for rearming and refueling navy PBY Catalinas in defense of Puget Sound. The commander of Naval Air Station Sand Point in Seattle recommended Crescent Harbor and Forbes Point on the shores of Saratoga Passage as suitable for seaplane takeoffs and landings under instrument conditions. The site, near the town of Oak Harbor, was protected, the weather was usually good, and it was seldom foggy.
In November 1941, the navy also decided to build an airport for land-based airplanes. The topographic survey team chose Clover Valley, approximately four miles north of Oak Harbor. It was tailor-made for a landing field: level, well drained, and accessible from any approach. The area was strategically located to guard the Strait of Juan de Fuca and the entrance to Puget Sound. Also, the population was sparse, allowing the base plenty of room to grow.
After the December 7, 1941, attack on Pearl Harbor, work on the naval bases began in earnest and concluded in record time. The actual construction of the field began on March 1, 1942, and the first plane, a single-engine SNJ trainer, piloted by Lieutenant Newton Wakefield, landed there on August 5, 1942. Naval Air Station Whidbey Island was commissioned on September 21, 1942. A year later, on September 25, 1943, the airfield was named Ault Field, in memory of Commander William B. Ault, missing in action in the Battle of the Coral Sea. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Ault Field had a population of 2,064.
Freeland is located at the head of Holmes Harbor in South Whidbey Island, 17 south of Coupeville. The site was platted in the 1800s by real estate promoters who called it St. Louis, but no town resulted. At one brief period the area was called Newell, which was the name of the nearest post office. The town was named for the Free Land Association, a group of socialists from South Dakota who intended to make land available to its members practically free of cost, paid for through cooperative enterprises. On January 12, 1899, George Washington Daniels, Henry L. Stevens, and Henry A. White formed the Free Land Association, and on December 29, 1900, Daniels platted a town made up of five-acre lots. It was intended that all the members of Freeland work for the common good, but the settlement failed to coalesce as a socialist community and the Free Land Association went bankrupt in 1920. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2000, Freeland had a population 1,313.
Perhaps, the most interesting event involving Freeland in the early days was a proposal to build a canal one-and-a-half-miles across South Whidbey Island. In the early 1900s, a venture capital group known as The Pennsylvania Syndicate, took options on nearly ten thousand acres of land between Holmes Harbor and Mutiny Bay on Admiralty Inlet. Their plan was to construct parallel train tracks and a sea-level, salt-water canal to allow ships and barges to be towed between Saratoga Passage and Admiralty Inlet, saving a trip around Possession Point. But anyone familiar with the area knew the savings in time and effort would be negligible and the project was abandoned.
Langley and Clinton
Langley is a small town on Saratoga Passage, approximately 10 miles east of Freeland on South Whidbey Island. The town was platted by Jacob Anthes in 1890 and named for Judge James Weston Langley (1836-1915), a partner in the Langley Land and Improvement Company. A post office was established in 1891 with Anthes as postmaster. Langley, which called itself “The Hub of the Island,” incorporated on February 26, 1913. The town supplied the outlying farmers with mail and dry goods, and was the terminus of steamer Camano, which sailed to Everett and Seattle.
In the 1900s South Whidbey Island was a popular summer destination and many of the Langley homes took in summer boarders. Logging and agriculture -- primarily truck gardens, fruits and berries -- were South Whidbey Island’s principal industries. A large commercial cannery was built at Langley that supplied the Puget Sound region with canned fruits and vegetables. The Island County Fair, established in 1924, is held in Langley every August. According to the 2000 U.S. Census, Langley had a population of 959.
Clinton, another small town, is located on a high bluff overlooking Saratoga Passage, approximately six miles south of Langley. It was named for Clinton County, Michigan, by Edward C. Hinman, a Civil War veteran, who came from there in 1883, filing a timber claim. He built a hotel and a dock, supplying steamships with wood and water. The original landing and nearby post office was called Phinney, after John G. Phinney, an early settler. In 1885, the post office was moved to the Clinton Union Store and, in 1892, renamed the Clinton Post Office. Edward Hinman served as postmaster from 1885 to 1896 and his brother, Henry, from 1898 to 1903. Like other small communities in the area, Clinton’s economy depended primarily on logging, fishing, and farming. In the 1900s, touring became popular and the community received its fair share of tourists, campers, and summer dwellers. Because of the easy ferry commute between Clinton and Mukilteo, South Whidbey Island has become a minor bedroom community for Seattle and Everett, where the Boeing aircraft assembly plant is located. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2000, Clinton had a population 868.
Camano Island lies between Whidbey Island and the mainland of Snohomish County. The island, approximately 18 miles long, seven miles across at its widest point and less than one mile at its narrowest, has a total area of 39.8 square miles. It is connected to the mainland, two miles west of Stanwood, by the Mark C. Clark Memorial Bridge (State Route 532) across West Pass and Davis Slough, which is dry at low tides. Mark C. Clark (1896-1984) was a commanding general in the U.S. Army during World War II (1941-1945) and the Korean War (1950-1953). He had property on Camano Island and was there with his wife in the late 1940s when the bridge was being planned.
The earliest inhabitants of Camano Island were the Kikalos and Snohomish Indians who used the island during the summer while gathering seafood and berries. Their name for the island was reported as Kal-lut-chin, meaning "land jutting into a bay." The island was charted in 1841 by the Wilkes expedition as "McDonough’s Island” in honor of Master Commandant Thomas McDonough, captain of the USS Saratoga during the War of 1812. In 1847, Captain Kellett of the British Navy, in his effort to restore Spanish names to the area, renamed it Camano Island in honor of Spanish explorer Lieutenant Don Jacinto Camano. In the 1855 Point Elliott Treaty with 22 Puget Sound Indian tribes, Washington Territorial Governor Isaac Ingalls Stevens (1818-1862) referred to the island as Perry Island and local loggers, for no particular reason, called it Crow Island. But eventually the name Camano came into common use.
The first settlers came to Camano Island in 1855, filing timber claims. The island was densely forested with stands of tall, straight Douglas-firs perfect for masts and spars. Utsalady, on Utsalady Bay at the northern tip of the island, was the site of a shipyard and one of the largest sawmills on Puget Sound, founded in 1858 by Whidbey Island pioneers Thomas Cranney and Lawrence Grennan. "Utsalady" was a distortion of an Indian word also rendered as "Uts-ollaie," and said to mean "place of berries." After Grennan died in 1869, Cranney operated the mill alone until 1876, then sold it to Pope and Talbot’s Puget Mill Company. When a depression hit the United States in 1890, market gluts and poor prices caused the sawmill to close. The machinery was moved to Pope and Talbot’s mills at Port Gamble and Port Ludlow. Later farmers came and removed the stumps and developed the island agriculturally.
There were no towns on Camano Island, but steamboats serviced the small communities of Camano City and Mabana. A horse-drawn ferry operated between the island and Stanwood until a bridge was built in 1909. In the 1920s, tourism became popular and several auto-camps were established, followed by more elaborate resorts that rented cabins, boats, and fishing gear. In 1949, Washington State Parks and Recreation developed 134 acres of land on the west side of Camano Island, overlooking Saratoga Passage, for use as a state park. Today (2005) Camano Island is entirely a farming and residential community, well-known for its production of fruits and berries. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in the year 2000, Camano Island had a population 13,347.
Steamers and Car Ferries
In the early years, sailing ships and small steamers serviced Whidbey Island haphazardly. In 1906, Coupeville resident Captain Howard B. Lovejoy purchased the sternwheeler Fairhaven and ran on a schedule between Penn’s Cove and Seattle with stops at points on South Whidbey Island. In 1911, Lovejoy founded the Island Transportation Company, adding the steamers Atlanta, Clatawa, Calista, and Camano, and the community of Port Townsend to the scheduled service. Lovejoy’s company merged with the Sound Ferry Line, becoming the Whidbey Island Transportation Company.
Car ferries entered the picture in 1919, with the growing popularity of automobile touring. The first ferry in Island County especially designed to carry automobiles was the Whidbey I, operated by the Central Ferry Company between Clinton and Mukilteo. Then the car ferry Central I, was added, running between Clinton and Everett. The Whidbey Island Transportation Company soon entered into direct competition, running car ferries between Langley, Clinton, and Everett. In 1927, the Puget Sound Navigation Company, doing business as the Black Ball Line, bought out all the minor steamship companies servicing Island County, establishing its own routes and schedules. The Black Ball Line operated ferry service until 1951, when it was purchased by Washington State Ferries.
Today (2005) nearly 88 percent of all economic activity in Island County is directly and indirectly linked to the navy’s presence, which includes employment, payrolls, retiree pensions, health care, and purchases of goods and services from local vendors. The base employs more than 10,000 workers, constituting 68 percent of Island County’s total employment. The annual payroll earned by military and civilian workers is $399.1 million, constituting 52 percent of the county’s labor earnings. In addition, the school districts in Island County receive $4.5 million annually as compensation for schooling the dependents of service personnel.
Other important economic activities in the county are farming, fishing, tourism, real estate, and construction, which accounts for the largest percentage of retail sales. Buying property and building vacation homes on the islands has become exceedingly popular. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, between 1900 and 2000, Island County’s population grew from 1,870 to 71,558, an increase of 97.3 percent. Between 2000 and 2004, the county’s population increased 10.8 percent, to 79,293, a trend in growth predicted to continue. Many retired and self-employed people move to the county, attracted by the mild weather, beautiful scenery, recreational opportunities, rural settings, and a lower cost-of-living.
The State of Washington
Washington State Department of Archeology and Historic Preservation
Deception Pass Bridge, 1930s
Oak Harbor Wharf, Whidbey Island, ca. 1905
Courtesy UW Special Collections (Image No. WAS0714)
Colonel Isaac Neff Ebey (1818-1857)
Skagit canoes near Coupeville, 1895
Courtesy Library of Congress
Jersey cattle, Bash Farm, Oak Harbor, Whidbey Island, ca. 1895
Photo by D.R. Judkins, Courtesy UW Special Collections (WAS0499)
Oak Harbor, 1930s
Blockhouse, Whidbey Island, 1940s
Maple Grove, Camano Island, 1950s
Ferry dock, Columbia Beach, Clinton, 1950s
Whid-Isle Inn (later The Captain Whidbey Inn), Penn Cove, Whidbey Island, 1950s
یواساس کامانو (ایجی-۱۳۰)
یواساس کامانو (ایجی-۱۳۰) (به انگلیسی: USS Camano (AG-130) ) یک کشتی بود که طول آن ۱۷۷ فوت (۵۴ متر) بود. این کشتی در سال ۱۹۴۴ ساخته شد.
|درازا:||۱۷۷ فوت (۵۴ متر)|
|پهنا:||۳۳ فوت (۱۰ متر)|
این یک مقالهٔ خرد کشتی یا قایق است. میتوانید با گسترش آن به ویکیپدیا کمک کنید.
- Take a drive and listen to our new Audio Tour on your phone! This is a great way to to see the historic sites in person and learn interesting facts and stories along the way!
- Watch our Video Toursof historic homes, schools, churches, barns and parks online from the comfort of your own living room!
Learn more about the Historic Sites on the Tour and find handy links to help you plan your trip to Stanwood and Camano Island when you come to experience the Audio Tour.
The annual Historic Sites Tour is a collaboration between volunteer organizations that are dedicated to preserving the history and community of Stanwood and Camano Island.
The strength of our leaders is reflected in the strength of our company. We&rsquore determined to uphold our founder&rsquos core values of integrity, quality, commitment, and innovation as we carry the legacy of John Deere leadership across our greater global communities.
Camano boats for sale
* This price is based on today's currency conversion rate.
Camano is a yacht builder that currently has 13 yachts for sale on YachtWorld, including 0 new vessels and 13 used yachts, listed by experienced yacht brokers mainly in the following countries: United States and Canada. Models currently listed on YachtWorld differ in size and length from 31 feet to 41 feet. Premiere models listed have motors up to an exceptional 500 horsepower, while affordable models for sale may have as low as 180 horsepower engines (although the average engine size across all of our current listings is 200 HP).
Type of yachts by Camano
This builder offers boat hull types including semi-displacement and other that are frequently used for traditional, time-honored boating pursuits such as overnight cruising. Camano equips models listed with inboard and inboard/outboard drive power options, available with diesel propulsion systems.
Often admired and relied upon for their Trawler and Cruisers, the Camano boats listed generally have a medium-depth draft and beam, qualities that make them popular and a great option for overnight cruising.
How much do Camano boats cost?
Camano boats for sale on YachtWorld are available for an assortment of prices from $78,228 on the moderate end of the spectrum, with costs all the way up to $420,424 for the highly-specialized, bespoke models.
What Camano model is the best?
Some of the most iconic Camano models currently listed include: Troll, 31, 31 Troll, 41 and Troll 31. Various Camano models are currently offered for sale by specialized yacht brokers, dealers and brokerages on YachtWorld, with listings ranging from 1995 year models up to 2006.
Camano Island State Park
Close to Seattle but a world away, Camano Island State Park offers a mellow, less bustling, but equally friendly alternative to its busier neighbor, Cama Beach State Park.
Forest loop trails provide cool, tranquil hiking, while shoreline strolls offer birding, shell and rock exploration and sweeping views of Puget Sound, Olympic Mountains and Mount Rainier.
Are you happiest in or on the water? Go boating, crabbing, saltwater fishing and sailboarding in Saratoga Passage. Curious about the restored 1930's fishing resort at Cama Beach? Hike the 1-mile trail to check out this neighboring state park.
After a fun day exploring the trails or cavorting in the water, you will probably want to kick back in your forested cabin, pitch your tent or get cozy in your RV. There, you can cook up the delicious crab you have caught, or your dinner of choice, and enjoy a bit of sublime R and R before heading back to the world.
Camano 31 Troll
Kurt Reynolds spent 24 years in the Navy, logging thousands of miles underwater as a submariner. It was an exciting life, performing a highly specialized mission in the technological marvel that is the modern sub.
“I probably have more miles under the water than most have on top of the water,” Reynolds says. “Or on land, for that matter.”
Not long ago, the 52-year-old information technology professional from Manteo, N.C., took on a different mission: exploring the coastal waters of his native North Carolina — on the water, not under — with his wife, Joanne. And instead of a submarine, they’ve used a 31-foot pocket trawler, the Canadian-built Camano Troll.
“I love the water, love to cruise,” says Reynolds, who grew up boating on the Outer Banks. “There’s nothing like a slow, quiet cruise on an isolated waterway with family and friends.”
Reynolds has owned a variety of boats over the years, from a boyhood 12-foot skiff to a 27-foot sloop to a 40-foot trawler, which he sold in 2005. When he started looking around for a boat to replace the big trawler a few years ago, he was drawn back to the type — but in a smaller size. He and his wife wanted a boat that could double as a comfortable cruiser for two and as a day boat for picnics and outings with family and friends.
Reynolds learned about the Camano online as he visited local broker websites, along with the bigger networks. With its size, amenities and single-engine economy, it stood out. The first Camano he found was close by, but the price wasn’t right. “So we expanded our search,” he says.
He found a 2002 Camano Troll in Deltaville, Md., and working with Annapolis Yacht Sales (www.annapolisyachtsales.com), he closed on a deal for a $100,000 purchase price. The trawler was in good condition. 𠇊s close to new as a 10-year-old boat could be,” Reynolds says, requiring only a cleaning, new batteries and an updated GPS/plotter.
𠇏or me, it’s about value and cost,” he says. “I got a good deal and a great value in the boat I bought.”
Power comes from a 210-hp Volvo diesel, and Reynolds cruises at 8 to 9 mph, with a top end of about 13 to 15 mph. “I am a cruiser,” he says. “[I like] slow and easy, and looking forward to a cold drink from the poop deck in the evening.”
Reynolds, who’s qualified to drive ships larger than 1,000 feet and 100,000 tons, admires the pocket trawler’s handling. 𠇌rossing Albemarle Sound north to south in a 20-knot north wind — actually crossing the Albemarle Sound in any wind — really tests your mustard,” he says. “She takes a sea well, not like a 50-ton Nordhavn but she is fuel-efficient and a great cruising boat for local waters.”
And that’s the mission: a summer of dayboating with friends and weeklong cruises for two. “The worst thing to have on a boat is a schedule,” Reynolds says.
With the versatile Camano, they can visit their favorite ports along the North Carolina coast — Columbia, Manteo, Coinjock — and “hang out with family and friends,” as Reynolds puts it. “Love the prime rib at Coinjock Marina restaurant … can’t be beat,” he adds. “It is always my first stop when heading south.”
Of course, there will be other boats. Reynolds has his eye on one of the big passagemakers — someday. But the 31-foot Camano Troll is a perfect fit for those looking to expand their cruising horizons. “[It’s made for] couples looking for a fuel-efficient overnight cruiser,” he says. “Lots of room, great driving from the flying bridge — and it won’t break your bank.”
The Powerboat Guide calls the Camano 31 “salty, efficient and surprisingly spacious.” Sold as the Camano 28 through 2002, the 31 Troll has a spacious interior featuring a large saloon with an L-shaped couch that converts to a berth and two standing chairs.
There is a lower helm to starboard with optional seating. The large trolley-style windows make the cabin light and airy. It is a step down to the C-shaped galley on the port side, equipped with a microwave, refrigerator and a three-burner cook top.
The compact head compartment is to starboard and comes with a marine head and a sink and a wand shower. The two-person stateroom is forward. There’s a large V-berth with shelf storage and a convenient hanging locker, along with an overhead hatch for ventilation.
The cockpit, with a transom door accessing the swim platform, is small, but the flybridge, reached by a ladder, has a helm station and additional seating. The wide side decks and sturdy rails are designed for working dock lines and moorings in safety.
Below the waterline, the displacement hull sports a full keel for stability and tracking. A bow thruster was standard equipment.
Vancouver naval architect Bob Warman founded the Camano brand in 1989 and ran the small builder before selling the company in 1997. The Camano 31 (sold as the Troll after 2002) earned a reputation as a spacious pocket trawler with a unique, efficient hull shape. The company underwent several changes in ownership, and the last 31 was built in 2011. Helmsman Trawlers of Seattle recently acquired the Camano name and tooling and now offers an updated 31. More than 250 boats were built by the original factory, making used models easy to find. Prices run from slightly less than $100,000 for early versions from the 1990s to $150,000 to $160,000 for late models.