Teenage killers murder three people

Teenage killers murder three people

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

On January 28, 1958, Charles Starkweather, a 19-year-old high-school dropout from Lincoln, Nebraska, and his 14-year-old girlfriend, Caril Ann Fugate, kill a Lincoln businessman, his wife and their maid, as part of a murderous crime spree that began a week earlier and would ultimately leave 10 people dead.

The killer couple’s deadly road trip, which generated enormous media attention and a massive manhunt, came to an end the following day, when Starkweather and Fugate were arrested near Douglas, Wyoming. The crimes later inspired a slew of books, movies and music, including Terence Malick’s 1973 film “Badlands,” starring Martin Sheen and Sissy Spacek, and Bruce Springsteen’s 1982 song “Nebraska.”

Growing up, Charles Starkweather was bullied and did poorly in school. He later idolized James Dean and identified with the actor’s rebellious, outsider image. Starkweather committed his first murder on December 1, 1957, when he robbed a gas station and killed the attendant. Reportedly, an attendant at the station had previously refused Starkweather’s attempt to buy a present for Fugate on credit.

Starkweather turned serial killer on January 21, 1958, when he shot Fugate’s stepfather and mother after arguing with them at their home, and strangled Fugate’s two-and-a-half-year-old sister. Starkweather and Fugate remained holed up at the scene of the crime for several days, before taking off in Starkweather’s car and murdering three more people—a farmer and two teenagers—on January 27. On January 28, the couple killed another three people–the Lincoln businessman, his wife and their maid. Starkweather and Fugate’s final victim, a shoe salesman, was killed on January 29; the couple was captured later that day.

Starkweather and Fugate were convicted of murder. He was given the death penalty and died in the electric chair on June 25, 1959. Fugate was sentenced to life in prison, but was released in 1976.

Murder of Shanda Sharer

Shanda Renee Sharer (June 6, 1979 – January 11, 1992) was an American girl who was tortured and burned to death in Madison, Indiana by four teenage girls. She was 12 years old at the time of her death. The incident attracted international attention due to both the brutality of the murder and the young age of the perpetrators, who were aged between 15 and 17 years old. The case was covered on national news and talk programs and has inspired a number of episodes on fictional crime shows. [1]

9 Larry Swartz

Larry Swartz, the subject of a best-selling book and a made-for-TV movie, was an adopted child with an extremely tough upbringing. Abandoned shortly after birth by his real parents, he bounced between foster homes and was often subjected to physical abuse.

His last foster home was that of Robert and Kathryn Swartz, a deeply religious and strict couple. Tensions ran high in the Swartz household because of the conflict between their views and the problems that Larry and his two adopted brothers had.

In 1984, those tensions came to a head when 17-year-old Larry called police to report that Robert and Kathryn had been beaten and stabbed to death. At first, Larry blamed the murders on his brother Michael, who was known to have mental problems, but Larry was quickly found to be the true killer, thanks to a bloody trail and handprint. Faced with the obvious physical evidence, he pled guilty to second-degree murder and was sentenced to 20 years in prison. Eight of those years were suspended.

Perhaps not surprisingly, Michael Swartz was later convicted of a separate murder. In 1991, he stabbed a man to death during a robbery.


In the early 1960s, the state of Mississippi, as well as most of the American South, defied federal direction regarding racial integration. [7] [8] Recent Supreme Court rulings had upset the Mississippi establishment, and White Mississippian society responded with open hostility. White supremacists used tactics such as bombings, murders, vandalism, and intimidation in order to discourage black Mississippians and their supporters from the Northern and Western states. In 1961, Freedom Riders, who challenged the segregation of interstate buses and related facilities, were attacked on their route. In September 1962, the University of Mississippi riots had occurred in order to prevent James Meredith from enrolling at the school.

The White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, a Ku Klux Klan splinter group based in Mississippi, was founded and led by Samuel Bowers of Laurel. As the summer of 1964 approached, white Mississippians prepared for what they perceived was an invasion from the north and west. College students had been recruited in order to aid local activists who were conducting grassroots community organizing, voter registration education and drives in the state. Media reports exaggerated the number of youths expected. [9] One Council of Federated Organizations (COFO) representative is quoted as saying that nearly 30,000 individuals would visit Mississippi during the summer. [9] Such reports had a "jarring impact" on white Mississippians and many responded by joining the White Knights. [9]

In 1890, Mississippi had passed a new constitution, supported by additional laws, which effectively excluded most black Mississippians from registering or voting. This status quo had long been enforced by economic boycotts and violence. The Congress of Racial Equality (CORE) wanted to address this problem by setting up Freedom Schools and starting voting registration drives in the state. Freedom schools were established in order to educate, encourage, and register the disenfranchised black citizens. [10] CORE members James Chaney, from Mississippi, and Michael Schwerner, from New York City, intended to set up a Freedom School for black people in Neshoba County to try to prepare them to pass the comprehension and literacy tests required by the state.

Registering others to vote Edit

On Memorial Day May 25th 1964, Schwerner and Chaney spoke to the congregation at Mount Zion Methodist Church in Longdale, Mississippi about setting up a Freedom School. [11] Schwerner implored the members to register to vote, saying, "you have been slaves too long, we can help you help yourselves". [11] The White Knights learned of Schwerner's voting drive in Neshoba County and soon developed a plot to hinder the work and ultimately destroy their efforts. They wanted to lure CORE workers into Neshoba County, so they attacked congregation members and torched the church, burning it to the ground.

On June 21, 1964, Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner met at the Meridian COFO headquarters before traveling to Longdale to investigate the destruction of the Mount Zion Church. Schwerner told COFO Meridian to search for them if they were not back by 4 p.m. he said, "if we're not back by then start trying to locate us." [10]

Arrest Edit

After visiting Longdale, the three civil rights workers decided not to take Road 491 to return to Meridian. [10] The narrow country road was unpaved abandoned buildings littered the roadside. They decided to head west on Highway 16 to Philadelphia, the seat of Neshoba County, then take southbound Highway 19 to Meridian, figuring it would be the faster route. The time was approaching 3 p.m., and they were to be in Meridian by 4 p.m.

The CORE station wagon had barely passed the Philadelphia city limits when one of its tires went flat, and Deputy Sheriff Cecil Ray Price turned on his dashboard-mounted red light and followed them. [10] The trio stopped near the Beacon and Main Street fork. With a long radio antenna mounted to his patrol car, Price called for Officers Harry Jackson Wiggs and Earl Robert Poe of the Mississippi Highway Patrol. [10] Chaney was arrested for driving 65 mph in a 35 mph zone Goodman and Schwerner were held for investigation. They were taken to the Neshoba County jail on Myrtle Street, a block from the courthouse.

In the Meridian office, workers became alarmed when the 4 p.m. deadline passed without word from the three activists. By 4:45 p.m., they notified the COFO Jackson office that the trio had not returned from Neshoba County. [10] The CORE workers called area authorities but did not learn anything the contacted offices said they had not seen the three civil rights workers. [10]

Nine men, including Neshoba County Sheriff Lawrence A. Rainey, were later identified as parties to the conspiracy to murder Chaney, Goodman and Schwerner. [12] Rainey denied he was ever a part of the conspiracy, but he was accused of ignoring the racially-motivated offenses committed in Neshoba County. At the time of the murders, the 41-year-old Rainey insisted he was visiting his sick wife in a Meridian hospital and was later with family watching Bonanza. [13] As events unfolded, Rainey became emboldened with his newly found popularity in the Philadelphia community. Known for his tobacco chewing habit, Rainey was photographed and quoted in Life magazine: "Hey, let's have some Red Man", as other members of the conspiracy laughed while waiting for an arraignment to start. [14]

Fifty-year-old Bernard Akin had a mobile home business which he operated out of Meridian he was a member of the White Knights. [12] Seventy one-year-old Other N. Burkes, who usually went by the nickname of Otha, was a 25-year veteran of the Philadelphia Police. At the time of the December 1964 arraignment, Burkes was awaiting an indictment for a different civil rights case. Olen L. Burrage, who was 34 at the time, owned a trucking company. Burrage was developing a cattle farm which he called the Old Jolly Farm, which is where the three civil rights workers were found buried. Burrage, an honorably discharged U.S. Marine, is quoted as saying: "I got a dam big enough to hold a hundred of them." [15] Several weeks after the murders, Burrage told the FBI: "I want people to know I'm sorry it happened." [16] Edgar Ray Killen, a 39-year-old Baptist preacher and sawmill owner, decades later was convicted of orchestrating the murders.

Frank J. Herndon, 46, operated a Meridian drive-in called the Longhorn [12] he was the Exalted Grand Cyclops of the Meridian White Knights. James T. Harris, also known as Pete, was a White Knight investigator. The 30-year-old Harris was keeping tabs on the three civil rights workers' every move. 54-year-old Oliver R. Warner, known as Pops, was a Meridian grocery owner and member of the White Knights. Herman Tucker lived in Hope, Mississippi, a few miles from the Neshoba County Fair grounds. Tucker, 36, was not a member of the White Knights, but he was a building contractor who worked for Burrage. The White Knights gave Tucker the assignment of getting rid of the CORE station wagon driven by the workers. White Knights Imperial Wizard Samuel H. Bowers, who served with the U.S. Navy during World War II, was not apprehended on December 4, 1964, but he was implicated the following year. Bowers, then 39, is credited with saying: "This is a war between the Klan and the FBI. And in a war, there have to be some who suffer." [17]

On Sunday, June 7, 1964, nearly 300 White Knights met near Raleigh, Mississippi. [18] Bowers addressed the White Knights about the "nigger-communist invasion of Mississippi" expected to take place in a few weeks, in what CORE announced as Freedom Summer. [18] The men listened as Bowers said: "This summer the enemy will launch his final push for victory in Mississippi", and, "there must be a secondary group of our members, standing back from the main area of conflict, armed and ready to move. It must be an extremely swift, extremely violent, hit-and-run group." [18]

Although federal authorities believed many others took part in the Neshoba County lynching, only ten men were charged with the physical murders of Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner. [19] One of these was Deputy Sheriff Price, 26, who played a crucial role in implementing the conspiracy. Before his friend Rainey was elected sheriff in 1963, Price worked as a salesman, fireman, and bouncer. [19] Price, who had no prior experience in local law enforcement, was the only person who witnessed the entire event. He arrested the three men, released them the night of the murders, and chased them down state Highway 19 toward Meridian, eventually re-capturing them at the intersection near House, Mississippi. Price and the other nine men escorted them north along Highway 19 to Rock Cut Road, where they forced a stop and murdered the three civil rights workers.

Killen went to Meridian earlier that Sunday to organize and recruit men for the job to be carried out in Neshoba County. [20] Before the men left for Philadelphia, Travis M. Barnette, 36, went to his Meridian home to take care of a sick family member. Barnette owned a Meridian garage and was a member of the White Knights. Alton W. Roberts, 26, was a dishonorably discharged U.S. Marine who worked as a salesman in Meridian. Roberts, standing 6 ft 3 in (1.91 m) and weighing 270 lb (120 kg), was physically formidable and renowned for his short temper. According to witnesses, Roberts shot both Goodman and Schwerner at point blank range, then shot Chaney in the head after another accomplice, James Jordan, shot him in the abdomen. Roberts asked, "Are you that nigger lover?" to Schwerner, and shot him after the latter responded, "Sir, I know just how you feel." [21] Jimmy K. Arledge, 27, and Jimmy Snowden, 31, were both Meridian commercial drivers. Arledge, a high school drop-out, and Snowden, a U.S. Army veteran, were present during the murders.

Jerry M. Sharpe, Billy W. Posey, and Jimmy L. Townsend were all from Philadelphia. Sharpe, 21, ran a pulp wood supply house. Posey, 28, a Williamsville automobile mechanic, owned a 1958 red and white Chevrolet the car was considered fast and was chosen over Sharpe's. The youngest was Townsend, 17 he left high school in 1964 to work at Posey's Phillips 66 garage. Horace D. Barnette, 25, was Travis' younger half-brother he had a 1957 two-toned blue Ford Fairlane sedan. [19] Horace's car is the one the group took after Posey's car broke down. Officials say that James Jordan, 38, killed Chaney. He confessed his crimes to the federal authorities in exchange for a plea deal.

After Chaney, Goodman, and Schwerner's release from the Neshoba County jail around 10 p.m. on June 21, they were followed almost immediately by Deputy Sheriff Price in his 1957 white Chevrolet sedan patrol car. [22] Soon afterward, the civil rights workers left the city limits located along Hospital Road and headed south on Highway 19. The workers arrived at Pilgrim's store, where they may have been inclined to stop and use the telephone, but the presence of a Mississippi Highway Patrol car, manned by Officers Wiggs and Poe, most likely dissuaded them. They continued south toward Meridian.

The lynch mob members, who were in Barnette's and Posey's cars, were drinking while arguing who would kill the three young men. Eventually Burkes drove up to Barnette's car and told the group: "They're going on 19 toward Meridian. Follow them!" After a quick rendezvous with Philadelphia Police officer Richard Willis, Price began pursuing the three civil rights workers.

Posey's Chevrolet carried Roberts, Sharpe, and Townsend. The Chevy apparently had carburetor problems, and was forced to the side of the highway. Sharpe and Townsend were ordered to stay with Posey's car and service it. Roberts transferred to Barnette's car, joining Arledge, Jordan, Posey, and Snowden.

Disposing of the evidence Edit

After the victims had been shot, they were quickly loaded into their station wagon and transported to Burrage's Old Jolly Farm, located along Highway 21, a few miles southwest of Philadelphia where an earthen dam for a farm pond was under construction. Tucker was already at the dam waiting for the lynch mob's arrival. Earlier in the day, Burrage, Posey, and Tucker had met at either Posey's gas station or Burrage's garage to discuss these burial details, and Tucker most likely was the one who covered up the bodies using a bulldozer that he owned. An autopsy of Goodman, showing fragments of red clay in his lungs and grasped in his fists, suggests he was probably buried alive alongside the already dead Chaney and Schwerner. [23]

After all three were buried, Price told the group:

Well, boys, you've done a good job. You've struck a blow for the white man. Mississippi can be proud of you. You've let those agitating outsiders know where this state stands. Go home now and forget it. But before you go, I'm looking each one of you in the eye and telling you this: The first man who talks is dead! If anybody who knows anything about this ever opens his mouth to any outsider about it, then the rest of us are going to kill him just as dead as we killed those three sonofbitches [sic] tonight. Does everybody understand what I'm saying? The man who talks is dead, dead, dead! [24]

Eventually, Tucker was tasked with disposing of the CORE station wagon in Alabama. For reasons unknown, the station wagon was left near a river in northeast Neshoba County along Highway 21. It was soon set ablaze and abandoned. [ citation needed ]

Alberta Murders: Notorious Killing Sprees And Brutal Murders That Rocked The Province

It's been a week of outrage, disbelief and small graces for victims of crime in Alberta.

Watchers at an Edmonton court room expressed their anger audibly on Friday, after hearing that all charges were being dropped against a teen charged in the violent murders of two city residents.

It was alleged the teen boy killed Barry Boenke, 68, and his friend Susan Trudel, 50, after escaping from a youth home.

The Crown said it no longer had a case after the judge dismissed all evidence gathered by the RCMP under a Mr. Big sting.

Earlier in the week, authorities and commentators were left in disbelief when they learned that Mark Twitchell, who came to be known as the Dexter Killer after admitting the TV show inspired him to murder a man and to attempt to kill a second, had his own flat screen TV in his cell and on which he watched as much Dexter as he desired.

Twitchell is serving a life sentence for luring a man to his rented Edmonton garage, killing him, dismembering him and disposing of the remains in the city's sewer.

And it was a small solace but a solace nonetheless after three teens were sentenced on Friday to the max for killing Ethan Yellowbird, while the young boy slept in the Samson Cree reserve.

The three took turns firing a rifle into the central Alberta home of a Native chief. One of the bullets hit the five-year-old while he was sleeping, killing him instantly.

The culprits all being teens, their sentences will count more in the months than in the years.

But although it was one particularly busy week in Alberta courts, that is not to say violence and grisly crime is worse now than before.

In fact, as the gallery below - which highlights some of the most notorious crimes in Alberta history - shows, crime has and will likely always be present as long as human beings are part of the equation.

Swift Runner was executed December day in 1879, for murdering and then eating numerous members of his own family over the previous winter. He believed he was possessed by Windigo, a terrifying, mythological creature with a ravenous appetite for human flesh that's prevalent in northern Native Lore. He was Cree, traded with the Hudson's Bay Company and guided for the North West Mounted Police. He has been called a serial killer, while others have characterized him as an ill, desperate man. But over the course of a single winter, he murdered and devoured his wife, six children, mother and brother.

Revulsion, shock, disgust and rage were all expressed publicly when it was learned that a 12-year-old girl who can only be identified as J.R., and her then 23-year-old boyfriend Jeremy Steinke, systematically murdered the girl's parents and her eight-year-old brother by stabbing them to death in their Medicine Hat home.

Steinke was given three concurrent life sentences, while J.R. was given 10 years because of her young age. She is the youngest person to ever be charged and convicted of multiple murders in Canada.

The two started to plot the murders online under the pseudonyms "soul eater" and "runaway devil" after their romance was discovered by the girl's parents.

Nina-Louise was 13 when, by chance on April 2005, she came across a group of youths who were determined to kill somebody, anybody. The young girl and her friend were lured from West Edmonton Mall under the false pretense of going to a rave. Instead, she was raped and killed on the fourth fairway of the Edmonton Springs Golf Course.

She was choked with a wrench, stabbed with a pair of throwing knives and beaten with a metal sledge hammer. Her tortured, dead body was left were it died, to be pored over by police. Two men, a 34-year-old and a 19-year-old, and teenage boy, as well as two teenage girls were charged in the murder.

The Highway of Tears is a stretch of Highway 16 between Prince George and Prince Rupert in B.C., along which as many as two dozen women have gone missing or have been murdered over the last 40 years. Although most of the murders and disappearances took place in B.C. some have also taken place on the east side of the B.C./Alberta border, west of Edmonton. One murder was confirmed near Hinton Alberta, while other disappearances in the province have also been linked to the Highway of Tears file. U.S. convict Bobby Jack Fowler was tied by DNA to several of the murders but the deaths and disappearances continued after Fowler was imprisoned in 1996 for unrelated crimes.

Mark Twitchell is an Edmonton filmmaker who instead wanted to be a serial killer with a cinematographic record of his exploits. During his trial, court heard how Twitchell, who found inspiration for his would-be killing spree from the TV series Dexter, followed his own movie script in killing and dismembering Johnny Altinger, whom Twitchell lured to a rented garage and which he had turned into a kill room. Twitchell dumped the remains down the drain. Another man Twitchell lured to his garage managed to fight off his would-be killer and get away.

He is one of the men behind one of the most intricate, savage and disturbing series of murders in recent history, and although the dozen people - men, women and babies - he was convicted of killing were killed in California in the 1980s, his run from justice ended when he was arrested in Calgary in 1985. Ng and his partner Leonard Lake are believed to have raped, tortured and killed as many as three dozen people in a cabin, and adjoining bunker, in the Sierra Nevada mountains. After his partner committed suicide with a cyanide capsule, Ng fled to Calgary where he was arrested at The Bay after shooting a security guard. He served four years in Canada before being sent back to the U.S., where he remains in death row.

Cook was accused of murdering his father, Raymond, stepmother, Daisy, and the couple's five children in June 1959. The family was discovered shot and bludgeoned in the grease pit of the family's Stettler home shortly after. Cook was convicted of murdering his father and has the unenviable distinction of being the last man to be hanged in Alberta, when he was put to death in November 1960.

8. The Claresholm Highway Murders

There are still more questions than answers in a multple-murder sucide along a dark Alberta highway that left three college students and a friend dead, while a fifth victim fought for her life. The brutal events unfolded after a jealous boyfriend chased down his ex-girlfriend and her friends and exacted revenge with fatal fury along Highway 2 with a 9 mm pistol on Dec. 2011. Killed in the slaughter was Tabitha Stepple, at the hands of her ex-boyfriend Derek Jensen who killed himself after also shooting Stepple's friends Mitchell MacLean, Tanner Craswell and Shayna Conway. MacLean and Craswell, students at Lethbridge College were being driven to Calgary by Conway and Stepple, to catch a flight home to PEI for Christmas, when they were struck from behind by Jensen's car as it headed north on the highway in the middle of the night to catch the early flight. Upon stopping, Jensen got out of the car and shot the four occupants. Conway, the driver, was the only survivor.

9. HUB Mall Murders, University of Alberta

Three armoured car personnel were ambushed and killed, allegedly at the hands of one of their own, while filling up an ATM machine within the University of Alberta campus in June 2012. Travis Baumgartner, 21, is charged with first-degree murder and attempted murder. Baumgartner was arrested the next day at the U.S. border with $334,000 in a backpack and is still awaiting trial.

Ronald Smith, a 55-year-old originally from Red Deer, Alta., was convicted of murder in Montana in 1983 for shooting to death two cousins, Harvey Madman Jr. and Thomas Running Rabbit, while he was high on drugs and alcohol near East Glacier, Mont.

He had been taking 30 to 40 hits of LSD and consuming between 12 and 18 beers a day.

He refused a plea deal that would have seen him avoid death row and spend the rest of his life in prison instead. Three weeks later, he pleaded guilty. He asked for and was given a death sentence.

11. The New Year's Day Massacre

Michael Roberto and Nathan Zuccherato were both sentenced to life for their roles in the grisly shootings at Calgary's Bolsa Restaurant, on New Year's Day 2009. The murders were the result of a years-long and deadly Calgary gang war between the Fresh Off the Boat gang and the FOB Killers. That feud cost more than a dozen lives over the span of a few years. Sanjeev Mann and Aaron Bendle were targeted in that attack but the third, Keni Su'a, was simply an innocent bystander in the restaurant eating alone that day.

It was not the number of deaths that burned this crime into the minds of Albertans but the sheer brutality of the rape and murder of a bright six-year-old girl everyone called Punky. She was playing with a friend when she was abducted in the front yard of her home on Sept. 2, 1992. She was found dead two days later at an Edmonton truck yard. It would be more than 10 years later that Clifford Sleigh would be charged and convicted of Punky's death. He is currently serving a life sentence.

13. The Taber School Shootings

Only days after the infamous Columbine school shootings in April 1999, a southern Alberta teen saw a way to get back at his own tormenters and unleashed a hail of bullets inside W. R. Myers High School in Taber. The rampage ended with one 17-year-old dead, a second one wounded, and the 14-year-old drop-out behind the trigger being subdued by an unarmed school police resource officer. The shooter was described as unpopular and the victim of teasing and name-calling. By contrast, the fatally wounded student, Jason Lang, was a popular student and the son of a preacher. The second teen made a full recovery and the shooter pleaded guilty to all charges, including murder.

He was first a farmer, a teacher and eventually a provincial MLA but he has gone down in history as the man behind one of the worst mass-murders ever perpetrated in Alberta. The esteemed provincial politician's life came to a gruesome end at his Erskine farm, shortly after he shot and killed his wife, son, three daughters, a hired farm hand and a visitor, before he turned his weapon on himself. Clark had suffered several nervous and mental breakdowns before the murders.

15. Mounties Ambushed In Mayerthorpe

The noose was closing around James Roszko when four Mounties descended on his Alberta property on the night of March 3, 2005 to execute a property seizure on the farm. It was in a Quonset hut that Roszko laid in wait and ambushed the four members. When the smoke lifted, Royal Canadian Mounted Police Constables Peter Schiemann, Anthony Gordon, Lionide Johnston, and Brock Myrol were dead, as was Roszko, who shot himself after being wounded in the shoot out. It was then the single biggest loss the Mounties had suffered in more than 100 years.

16. The Trans-Canada Highway Killer

Beginning in 1973, and continuing until 1981, 28 young women and girls, in British Columbia and Alberta, most of them hitchhikers, were raped and murdered along the iconic strip of pavement. Victims ranged in age from 12 and 35. As innexplicably as they started, the murders stopped. And although it was thought at one point that multiple killers were responsible for the murders, no one was ever charged in the deaths.

Victoria Shachtay was a 23-year-old disabled mother living in Innisfail when a bomb was delivered to her front door in November 2011. The bomb exploded, killing the young mom and shaking a small community that has little experience with homicide, let alone one of such a destructive nature. Shachtay's caregiver was also injured in the blast. Her daughter was in school at the time. Allegations state Shachtay was killed after dividends from a massive investment she made with a financial investor dried up and she started to demand action. Her advisor, Brian Malley, is now charged with her murder.

18. The Taber shooting is the one freshest on the mind but is not the first time an Alberta teen entered a school and opened fire on his peers. In March 1959, 19-year-old Stan Williamson opened fire with a .22 calibre rifle inside a crowded corridor of of an Edmonton high school, killing 16-year-old Howard Gates and wounding five teenage girls. The shooting ended when three 18-year-old students held the gunman down until he could be arrested by police.

Killed for ‘a dare’

Three teenage yobs were handed the equivalent of life sentences after beating a homeless man to death.

Brothers Connor Doran, 17, and Brandon Doran, 14, and their friend Simon Evans, also 14, set upon rough-sleeping Kevin Bennett outside a supermarket.

Mr Bennett, 53, died in hospital six days after the vicious attack in Liverpool in 2012.

Evans later told his friend: “I started kicking him, I booted him and now he’s dead,” the court heard.

5 David Brom

On the evening of February 18, 1988, police in Rochester, Minnesota, responded to a rumor that a local 16-year-old student named David Brom supposedly told a schoolmate he had murdered his family that morning. After visiting the Brom home, authorities were horrified to discover that David&rsquos parents, Bernard and Paulette, had been bludgeoned to death with an ax. Two of their children, 14-year-old Diane and nine-year-old Richard, had also been killed in the exact same fashion, but David was nowhere to be found. He was spotted and arrested at a Rochester post office the following day.

Since David was a straight-A student who displayed no signs of homicidal tendencies, his motive for the murders was murky. It may have been something as simple as an argument with his father over a punk rock music tape he had bought. David murdered his family while they were sleeping and attended the school the next day, where he described the murders in great detail to a female friend. Given his age, David normally would have been referred to the juvenile court system, but the severity of the crime necessitated that he be tried as an adult. David&rsquos legal team attempted to use an insanity defense, but he was still convicted of first-degree murder and given three consecutive life sentences. David Brom will not be eligible for parole until 2041.

8 Famous Homicide Cases In Oregon That Will Never Be Forgotten

While Oregon is generally considered to be a safe place to live, there’s no denying that we have had more than our fair share of infamous crimes. Over the years, an untold number of chilling homicides have taken place in the Beaver State, with many making headlines nationwide. The following 8 famous cases will not be forgotten any time soon.

On May 19, 1983, Diane Downs turned up at the McKenzie-Willamette Hospital in Springfield claiming that she had been carjacked and shot in the arm. The carjacker had also shot her three children, one fatally. Hospital staff reported being alarmed by Downs' calm demeanor. Witnesses also said that they saw her driving to the hospital at a speed of around 5 mph.

After police conducted an investigation and none of the forensic evidence matched her story, Diane Downs was charged with murder and sentenced to life in prison. In 1987, she managed to briefly escape, but was recaptured in Salem just 10 days later. Today, she is serving her sentence at the Valley State Prison for Women in Chowchilla, California.

The name Kip Kinkel is one most Oregonians are familiar with. At the age of 15, Kinkel murdered his parents and then went on a shooting spree at Thurston High School in Springfield, killing two students and wounding at least 25 others.

Kinkel was the son of Faith Zuranski and Bill Kinkel, two schoolteachers who were well regarded within the community. From an early age, Kinkel was obsessed with bombs and guns, and showed an intense interest in violence. Many of his classmates came forward after the attacks with stories about Kinkel talking about torturing animals, setting off a bomb during an assembly and even killing people. He is currently serving a 112-year sentence at Oregon State Correctional Institution.

In December of 2001, the body of four-year-old Zachary Longo was found in a marina in Waldport, a small coastal town near Newport. Three days later, the body of three-year-old Sadie Longo was found nearby. Then, two suitcases containing the bodies of two-year-old Madison Longo and Mary Jane Longo were found. The main suspect was Christian Longo, the father and husband of the victims.

When police sought out Longo for questioning, they discovered that he was missing and in serious debt. Eventually, he was found in Cancun, Mexico posing as Michael Finkel, a journalist for the New York Times.

After a whirlwind trial, in which Longo claimed his wife Mary Jane had killed two of the children, Longo was found guilty and sentenced to death. He is currently on death row at Oregon State Penitentiary. In 2011, he confessed to killing his family.

Tyrom Theis worked at Leather's Oil Company in Gresham during the 1990s. After he was suspected of stealing $50 from the company, he left his job as station manager. A few months later, he returned with pals Larry Scherf and Lori Stephens to rob the gas station. During the robbery, Theis shot and killed the three female employees who were working at the time: Mary Beth Wheeler (25), her mother-in-law Rosealie Fey-Girtz (51), and Virginia Kay Endicott (47).

Scherf and Stephens were soon arrested and confessed to the crime, but Theis remains at large. He has not been seen since August 1994.

Bobby Jack Fowler was one of the most infamous serial killers to ever reside in the Pacific Northwest. He was linked by DNA evidence to the murder of two teenage girls and also became the prime suspect in the disappearance of two other teenage girls who were murdered in 1992.

On June 28, 1995, Fowler was arrested after a woman jumped out of the window of a Tides Inn in Newport, Oregon with a rope tied to her ankle. She survived the attack, and reported Fowler as her attacker to police. Fowler was arrested in Newport and sentenced to 16 years in prison, where he eventually passed away from lung cancer. It is believed that he is responsible for as many as 20 murders during a 20-year period.

Do you have any memories of these homicides? What other crimes have occurred in Oregon in your lifetime?

For more true crime tales from the Beaver State, check out our previous article: 6 Disturbing Unsolved Mysteries In Oregon That Will Leave You Baffled.

7 Charlene and Gerald Gallego

Charlene and Gerald Gallego were two twisted serial killers who terrorized the Sacramento, California, area between 1978 and 1980. Most of their ten victims were teenagers, who they kept as slaves before killing them. The skeletal remains of their victims were later found scattered around the area. They were caught when a passerby witnessed one of their abductions.

Following their arrest, Charlene turned against Gerlad and she was offered a plea deal where she would only have to serve 16 years in prison. During an interview, she said, "There were victims who died, and there were victims who lived. It's taken me a hell of a long time to realize that I'm one of the ones who lived." She also claimed that she "tried to save some of their lives." Gerlad died on death row in 2002.

1. Mary Frances Creighton and Everett Appelgate

This is definitely one of the strangest killing pairs on the list!

Mary Frances Creighton, her husband, John Creighton, and their daughter, Ruth, moved to Baldwin, New York, where they met a couple, Everett and Ada Appelgate. The families started living together because it was the Great Depression, and money was scarce.

During this time Everett started to seduce the teenage Creighton daughter. According to New York Daily News, he would take her on drives, and the pair were reported to have started a sexual relationship. There is some confusion surrounding the circumstances of the death of Appelgate’s wife, Ada, but in 1936 both Appelgate and Mary Creighton were tried for poisoning her.Both were found guilty and executed by the electric chair.

Their romantic link to each other, if any, and their motives for both wanting Ada dead remain unclear, but because they were convicted together, they deserve a spot on our list. Interestingly, prior to this murder, Mary also stood trial for the death of her brother, Ray Avery (who died of arsenic poisoning), as well as her mother-in-law, but she was acquitted of both charges.

Watch the video: Ζευγάρι εφήβων δολοφόνων σε βίντεο:Καλωσορίσατε στο κανάλι μας, είναι η 3η μέρα αφότου σκοτώσαμε (May 2022).


  1. Megami

    Interesting. We are waiting for new messages on the same topic.

Write a message

Video, Sitemap-Video, Sitemap-Videos