The University at Buffalo, part of the State University of New York system, is a comprehensive public research university located in Western New York. The University at Buffalo is the largest of the SUNY schools with ambitious plans for future growth. The school has three campuses totaling over 1,300 acres. Shuttles run frequently between and across campuses.
Because of UB's many excellent research centers, it was granted membership in the Association of American Universities. In athletics, the Buffalo Bulls compete in the NCAA Division I Mid-American Conference.
Will You Get In?
Calculate your chances of getting in with Cappex's this free tool.
Admissions Data (2016)
- SUNY University at Buffalo Acceptance Rate: 59%
- GPA, SAT and ACT graph for UB
Test Scores: 25th / 75th Percentile
- SAT Critical Reading: 520 / 610
- SAT Math: 550 / 660
- ACT Composite: 24 / 29
- Total Enrollment: 30,184 (20,412 undergraduates)
- Gender Breakdown: 57% Male / 43% Female
- 92% Full-time
Costs (2016 - 17)
- Tuition and Fees: $9,574 (in-state); $26,814 (out-of-state)
- Books: $1,196 (why so much?)
- Room and Board: $12,292
- Other Expenses: $2,481
- Total Cost: $25,489 (in-state); $42,729 (out-of-state)
University at Buffalo Financial Aid (2015 - 16)
- Percentage of New Students Receiving Aid: 77%
- Percentage of New Students Receiving Types of Aid
- Grants: 63%
- Loans: 52%
- Average Amount of Aid
- Grants: $8,577
- Loans: $9,259
- Most Popular Majors: Accounting, Biomedical Sciences, Business Administration, Communication Studies, Electrical Engineering, English, History, Humanities, Mechanical Engineering, Nursing, Political Science, Psychology, Social Sciences
- What major is right for you? Sign up to take the free "My Careers and Majors Quiz" at Cappex.
Transfer, Graduation and Retention Rates:
- First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 86%
- Transfer-out Rate: 14%
- 4-Year Graduation Rate: 58%
- 6-Year Graduation Rate: 74%
Intercollegiate Athletic Programs:
- Men's Sports: Football, Basketball, Baseball, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Cross Country, Wrestling
- Women's Sports: Track and Field, Rowing, Softball, Soccer, Cross Country, Swimming, Volleyball, Tennis
National Center for Educational Statistics
UB and the Common Application
The University at Buffalo uses the Common Application.
University of Buffalo Mission Statement:
"The University at Buffalo is a diverse, inclusive scholarly community dedicated to bringing the benefits of its research, scholarship and creative activity, and educational excellence to global and local communities in ways that impact and positively change the world. We view the three traditional pillars of the public higher education mission-research, education, and service-as interdependent endeavors that continually enrich and inform each other. Groundbreaking research, transformative educational experiences, and deeply engaged service to its communities define the University at Buffalo's mission as a premier, research-intensive public university."